Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 7, 2015   #16
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I second the Heritage 6-4. Very productive on a moderate sized plant. Large fruit, with a touch of heat when red, and great flavor when roasted. I'm also planting Big Jim this year.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #17
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

What about the Anaheim? I planted 3 plants this year and they are going gang busters! The flavor is pretty good too. There is another burger joint that is all over NM. Specifically Albq, Las Vegas, and Santa Fe.... The name is slipping my mind. But the green chili burgers knock your pants off! It's sooo dang good! I'd also like to figure out what chili pepper to grow that closely resembles what they use in NM. I'm going out to a little town where my husbands family lives (30 mins from Las Vegas) and they grow some amazing green chili... I will try and get some this summer and save seeds. If so- I will try and share them all with you folks. People have been so nice to share seeds with me, I feel like this is the greatest thing I can do in return.
Old April 15, 2015   #18
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Kelly,

Pueblo, Colorado is developing a growing reputation for green chile rivaling the Hatch type of New Mexico. Check out the links below. I am growing the "Mosco" chile for the first time this year in addition to the Heritage Big Jim, 6-4 and Joe E Parker. Oddly enough, I met Harry Mosco over 30 years ago when he was farming some land directly behind our home at the time. D.V. Burrells seed company in Rocky Ford sells larger quantities of the seed in addition to Farm Direct Seeds. I am looking forward to comparing these varieties in my own green chile recipe this year and freezing a bunch after roasting.

George

http://denvergreenchili.com/the-mosco-chile-pepper/

http://www.farmdirectseed.com/product.asp?specific=2058

http://coloradosprings.com/pueblos-a...rticle/1506454

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #19
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Chief-there is no such thing as a Hatch pepper seed. The varieties, as best as I know, are ones that are set out at the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute. Thats where I have always gotten my seed.

Whoose-My favorites are NuMex Joe Parker, Heritage Big Jim and Heritage 6-4
I knew that Hatch was just an area where they grew a lot of different type peppers . Sandia seed company do sale a Hatch Red and Green pepper, but****if you read the fine print they also claim that the Hatch Green variety is Argo green.

Enter Quantity:

Hatch Green Chile Capsicum annuum This variety is Agco Fire Green. (75 days) It is improved through selection for uniform set, flavor and easy machine harvesting. It is field grown near Hatch, NM and sold as ‘Hot’. Peppers are 7" long on productive 30” plants. Easy to Grow.

"Hatch Chile" is not an actual variety, but is a term used to describe peppers of several different varieties grown in the area.

~ Actual variety names might include "Big Jim", "Joe Parker", "Sandia Hot", and others.
~ The Hatch Chile Festival occurs every Labor Day. This event attracts people world-wide to “The chile capital of the world”, in New Mexico.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #20
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Pondgardener- Wow thanks for educating me! I did grow the Joe Parker seeds last year and they were super delicious. My husbands family loves green chili and they have all brought me roasted chili when they come back from NM. Blakes was the name of the joint that has killer breakfast burritos and burgers. Look it up, if you haven't had it. Great stuff. Do you have any extra seed? I can muster up a list of all the tomatoes/peppers/melons I have and we can swap?

Chefbaz- Thanks for that info! Again- I feel much more knowledgable in regards to chili, after this post!

So a question to both of you- do you know what pepper is used for red chili? Or do they just let it turn red?? lol
Old April 16, 2015   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, some are used for red by letting them fully mature, then drying and using the powder to make the sauce. It also makes a good chili powder IMHO. Some are better for green like Sandia, you can even make a green sandia powder too.
Although for green sauce you use roasted peppers. Man they are fantastic!
This year I'm only growing Big Jim Legacy and Big Jim heritage. Both plants are rather wimpy right now. I'm in the north so most of these don't grow great here. I need a few plants to get enough. Still experimenting.I never grew Big Jim before. This year though I'm more concentrating on Hungarian peppers for paprika. Most grow really well here.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #22
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I need to plant more plants to do make chili powder next time... That's a great idea! I'm actually making green chili today from my Anaheim, Pasilla, and Numex peppers. A nice mix of hot/mild for sure... Never thought of making paprika either?! Thanks for the idea!
Old April 16, 2015   #23
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I bought some commercial seeds from Hungary to try and get authentic paprika. Each region has it's own. Also Spain, Poland and Italy have their own paprika peppers. Again very regional. You can make hot or sweet paprika.

Here's a recipe for cheese enchiladas
http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/...enchiladas.htm

I use this recipe to make chili powder
http://www.texascooking.com/features...hilepowder.htm

As a side note I grow Mexican oregano and Mexican bush oregano
Also Cuban oregano.
You can also buy it here
http://www.chipotlepowder.com/mexican-oregano

Last edited by drew51; April 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old April 16, 2015   #24
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea what varieties of peppers they use for Hatch Red. Sandia seed company does state that Argo Fire Green is the variety they call Hatch green, but i have found no information about hatch Red. It could be Heritage 6-4, Sandia, Joe E Parker,Anaheim or Big Jim. I really don't have a clue. Maybe someone reading this post can supply the information we both would like to know. Any commercial pepper grower around the Hatch,NM area members of Tomatoville?
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #25
drew51
Tomatovillian™

You can use any of those. It's more a preference to which you like best. I used 6-4 last year for red sauce. Wow! Awesome! I would not use Sandia, or anaheim, you could though.
The chili institute sells red powder made with Big Jim, Heritage 6-4 and New Mexico. Again depends what you like. Sandia is sold as a green powder. Sandia is great green, has a thick wall so harder to dry. Again though you can dry, but if I was i would dry in the green stage and use it as a spice.
Old April 16, 2015   #26
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Pondgardener- Wow thanks for educating me! I did grow the Joe Parker seeds last year and they were super delicious. My husbands family loves green chili and they have all brought me roasted chili when they come back from NM. Blakes was the name of the joint that has killer breakfast burritos and burgers. Look it up, if you haven't had it. Great stuff. Do you have any extra seed? I can muster up a list of all the tomatoes/peppers/melons I have and we can swap?

Chefbaz- Thanks for that info! Again- I feel much more knowledgable in regards to chili, after this post!

So a question to both of you- do you know what pepper is used for red chili? Or do they just let it turn red?? lol
Kelly,

I do have some seeds if you would like some. PM me and we can work out the details...

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #27
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Drew - I grew Big Jim last year and got a good amount of peppers off just one plant, but not until late in the season. While I was able to get them to a fully mature green state, they weren't showing any signs of turning red by the time frost was becoming a threat. Hopefully yours do well.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #28
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

My Heritage 6-4 have set Peppers already, and look like they may be earlier than the Big Jim I've grown in the past:

(Sun is at an odd angle in this photo)

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #29
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Drew - I grew Big Jim last year and got a good amount of peppers off just one plant, but not until late in the season. While I was able to get them to a fully mature green state, they weren't showing any signs of turning red by the time frost was becoming a threat. Hopefully yours do well.
Thanks for the info. i suspect the same here, but you know green is fine! I saw a hybrid I want to try for places with shorter seasons. Maybe for the red. I was able to get some Red from Heritage 6-4.
Old June 13, 2015   #30
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Kelly,

Pueblo, Colorado is developing a growing reputation for green chile rivaling the Hatch type of New Mexico. Check out the links below. I am growing the "Mosco" chile for the first time this year in addition to the Heritage Big Jim, 6-4 and Joe E Parker. Oddly enough, I met Harry Mosco over 30 years ago when he was farming some land directly behind our home at the time. D.V. Burrells seed company in Rocky Ford sells larger quantities of the seed in addition to Farm Direct Seeds. I am looking forward to comparing these varieties in my own green chile recipe this year and freezing a bunch after roasting.

George

http://denvergreenchili.com/the-mosco-chile-pepper/

http://www.farmdirectseed.com/product.asp?specific=2058

http://coloradosprings.com/pueblos-a...rticle/1506454
I am also growing the Mosco chili for the first time. But if it is really as good as they say, then it may be my new favorite green chili for roasting. And what's better than colorado and new mexico southwest style green chili?!

I'm also trying Zia Pueblo, Chili Velarde, Anahiem, and Poblano.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote