Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 13, 2014   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Fushimi Pepper?

I LOVE Padron Peppers and although I tried to germinate some seeds of (phonetically spelled due to Tomatoville filter) She-she-toe peppers, not a single one germinated. I do love the flavor of both of them and I wonder if Fushimi Peppers are also a pepper that taste great just blistered in a hot pan with olive oil and then sprinkled with sea salt.

I am considering purchasing them for next year but would love to hear from others who have grown and cooked them this way.

If anyone has a suggestion for another pepper that is prolific and tastes great cooked this way, please let me know, otherwise I may end up growing about 10 Padron plants since the she-she-toes didn't germinate.

Thanks!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #2
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Hi
I don't know why your SHI★★★★O peppers didn't germinate. I grow them every year. As for Fushimi , they are very similar in that they both are Japanese peppers. I do like the flavor better on the Shi★★★★o
I also grill them and sprinkle Parmesan cheese

Enjoy
Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I had no problem with germinating the Pepper That Shall Not Be Named. You should try it again with new seeds.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2014   #4
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I did not give up on she-she-toes and of course will try them again. I received the seeds in trade.

I am going to be ordering some of the fushimis and she-she-toes soon!
Old November 16, 2014   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
I LOVE Padron Peppers and although I tried to germinate some seeds of (phonetically spelled due to Tomatoville filter) She-she-toe peppers, not a single one germinated. I do love the flavor of both of them and I wonder if Fushimi Peppers are also a pepper that taste great just blistered in a hot pan with olive oil and then sprinkled with sea salt.

I am considering purchasing them for next year but would love to hear from others who have grown and cooked them this way.

If anyone has a suggestion for another pepper that is prolific and tastes great cooked this way, please let me know, otherwise I may end up growing about 10 Padron plants since the she-she-toes didn't germinate.

Thanks!
Did you wait until your peppers were in the red ripe stages of ripening? Every fruit and vegetable is different in persevering the seeds naturally. Next years let your peppers turn a deep red than save the seeds. This way your future seeds would be naturally generically protected against Many fungus and diseases.

Last edited by MrsJustice; November 16, 2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2014   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I have grown all three this year. I usually grow the Fushimi and Shishis every year, so I just tried the Padron this year as a comparison.
Personally, I do not care for the Fushimis as a pepper to eat--I grow them for their leaves alone to use in a simmered dish I ate in Japan. There, you can often find entire plants for sale for just that purpose at the end of summer. The roots are still attached and cleaned for market. You add some of the peppers to enhance the dish. They are small, long and skinny, full of seeds, so to me they are not easy to eat because of the many seeds.
Pdxwindjammer, Shishi seeds have to be very fresh or they will not germinate. PM me with your address and I will send you both.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2014   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

peebee, what is the name of the simmered dish with the pepper leaves?

I cut all my plants down today as we're suppose to get below 30s by Tuesday. I couldn't help but remember a Korean coworker of mine telling me they ate the leaves of their pepper plants. I wondered how much I was wasting with each pepper plant I stuck in the garbage bag.

Shi shi tos are super prolific for me. I got my seeds from Evergreen. I also keep some (out of deep red pod) and will see if they germinate for me.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2014   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks MrsJustice. I have been saving seeds for several years. But it isn't possible to save seeds i the peppers don't germinate.

Peebee, thanks so much for the offer to send shishi and fushimi! I will send you a pm!
Old November 17, 2014   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu, I knew the Koreans ate the leaves too but I have never encountered any in Korean restaurants. Probably because such dishes are usually eaten at home, not something you would go out and order.
Basically you simmer them in very little liquid, a mixture of soy sauce, sake, a little sweetener like mirin or even sugar, and you cook till almost evaporated. It's very concentrated and salty so you eat it with lots of plain rice or ochazuke (green tea poured over rice). It's really just a small side, not a real "dish" per se. I don't how to describe the taste other than it tastes sort of mildly bitter/leafy. I have always meant to try making it with different hot pepper leaves but figured there must be a reason only Fushimi is traditionally used, not Shishis, for example. Maybe I'll do it next year if I find a plant with bushy, small slender leaves.
Old January 13, 2015   #10
4season
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed this thread, we grow pepperoncini peppers and another grower at our market grows shi shi peppers. Side by side I can't tell them apart, my tongue can't tell them apart either.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Really, peperoncini and shi shis taste the same? That is interesting to know--no wonder they sort of look identical too, I'd always wondered what peperoncinis tasted like fresh as I've only seen them pickled in jars. I thought peperoncinis were a bit hot, no?
Old January 20, 2015   #12
4season
Tomatovillian™

I have not noticed any heat in pepperoncini peppers. It almost sounds as if some shi shi seeds were taken to Italy and renamed for local sales.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #13
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Probably more likely, pepperoncini seeds were taken to Japan by the Portuguese back in the 1500's when they used to trade with Japan.

Few hundred years later, one pepper with two names.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Probably more likely, pepperoncini seeds were taken to Japan by the Portuguese back in the 1500's when they used to trade with Japan.

Few hundred years later, one pepper with two names.
Hmm, and I am growing all 3 peppers mentioned in this thread. I'll have to see
if there is any difference between shi shi to and pepperoncini.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote