Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 19, 2013   #121
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! Thanks, Ginger!!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2014   #122
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I am sorry I haven't updated in so long. I was hoping the last batch of tomatoes had enough time to mature the seeds, but not a single tomato I picked from either cross had matured even one seed. I don't have any idea what happened! Some I picked as soon as they were ripe, some I left on the vine for a while. Some I cut open right away, some I let sit on the counter for a while. I am not sure if it was the heat, or my growing practices, or what...I had one plant in the ground in full sun, and two in pots in the shade. Even some of my other plants this year didn't produce seeds. I had a sweet 100 in ground that I couldn't find 1 seed in any of the fruit(and it was about 5 foot tall by 10 foot long, lush, and loaded). It seems like the only tomatoes that made seeds this year was a few of the dwarf varieties I had. Sorry I wasn't any help to your project this year, thanks again for giving me the opportunity. It was fun!
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2014   #123
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Awesome! Thanks, Ginger!!
Did they arrive?

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2014   #124
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sorry! Yes, safe and sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Did they arrive?

Marsha

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old January 15, 2014   #125
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Just a note on the seed I grew out last year the Juliet x Green Zebra- nice tomato pretty red w/ striped looked like a picture some one else has posted that you already have the shape of a Juliet. Chocolate Cherry x Juliet - about the same size as a Chocolate cherry round and red great flavor. and the Sun Gold x Black from Tula - big taste but was the size of a sun gold but Yellow in color very good to eat. I do have pictures I did really enjoy eating the Chocolate Cherry x Juliet it taste just as good as a Chocolate cherry very nice flavor I hope next years bunch will be just as good in this line...sorry about the delay I just forgot my pass word and finally remembered....
Old January 15, 2014   #126
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I will get seed packed up and sent back here shortly....
Old January 17, 2014   #127
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you back dustyriver.
GZ x BFT, J x GZ AND J x SR are doing great so far this round and I will be potting them up soon. The J x SR have very tiny seeds and the seedlings are the smallest I have ever grown.... I use Autozone's DE in my seed trays and its grains are about three times larger than the seeds, but they really thrive well in it with massive root systems forming. I'm looking to get them planted around the third week in march.
Old January 17, 2014   #128
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great! Very much looking forward to the F2s of the Sungold x BFT, in particular! When you grow these it might be good to keep only the plants with the distinctive Sungold foliage fragrance. Entirely up to you though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrivergarden View Post
Just a note on the seed I grew out last year the Juliet x Green Zebra- nice tomato pretty red w/ striped looked like a picture some one else has posted that you already have the shape of a Juliet. Chocolate Cherry x Juliet - about the same size as a Chocolate cherry round and red great flavor. and the Sun Gold x Black from Tula - big taste but was the size of a sun gold but Yellow in color very good to eat. I do have pictures I did really enjoy eating the Chocolate Cherry x Juliet it taste just as good as a Chocolate cherry very nice flavor I hope next years bunch will be just as good in this line...sorry about the delay I just forgot my pass word and finally remembered....

Old January 17, 2014   #129
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

How many plants of each will you grow? We'll see a lot of segregation now. 1/4 should have some striping, for example. Unfortunately, no way for you to select those plants until you see fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
Good to see you back dustyriver.
GZ x BFT, J x GZ AND J x SR are doing great so far this round and I will be potting them up soon. The J x SR have very tiny seeds and the seedlings are the smallest I have ever grown.... I use Autozone's DE in my seed trays and its grains are about three times larger than the seeds, but they really thrive well in it with massive root systems forming. I'm looking to get them planted around the third week in march.

Old January 18, 2014   #130
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Chris, This year only a few of each.. my granddaughter wanted to sell tomatoes at farmers market and round red and cherry sells here, so I'll have to grow a row of each. I will save the seeds for next year if I don't get something to follow through on with the small sample I grow this year. I have three rows for tomatoes at 30ft each, so I will have to cram them in at 2ft spacing along with my grafts and other grow outs. Of course, as bad as I am with grafts there may be a lot of room... LOL.
Old January 18, 2014   #131
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Something that I noticed right before frost killed them last year in December, was that on JxGZ, there were solid red tomatoes. I only know basic genetics, so didn't understand what was happening. Earlier in the summer the striped ones were ripe. Then they were striped and still hard to the touch and quickly went to bright dark red and then were ripe to the touch. The taste seemed to be more concentrated, but by december I had cut my irrigation way back, so that might have been some of the change. One thing I'm still interested in is the strong resistance to rkn. Both jxgz and jxsr only developed a few small nodules on the roots at the end of the season. There are very few varieties that can do this in my rkn infested garden.

Last edited by tuk50; January 18, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014   #132
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I will probably only grow 3 of each room is the issue I have other plants to grow....I will be interested to see how they do as f2 also they could really do some fun things this year....
Old January 26, 2014   #133
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

If you still have any of these I'll take Green Zebra x Black from Tula
Juliet F1 x Prudens Purple

I could grow out 2 or 3 plants each. I'll send a PM with my address.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2014   #134
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

sdzejachok, just a note on the GZxBFT, it is one of the largest and vigorous seedlings I've grown. Taste is great, but my garden has some form of wilt in the summer that whacks it mid summer. It is well worth trying. Bft does fair here, but GZ does the same mid summer after picking only a few. I have gardened about 10 miles from here and GZ was about 6ft tall and heavy producer. Then for a couple of years about 2 miles in another place and GZ in a red clay, sandy soil was about 16 feet tall every year and produced massive amounts of fruit from March to December.
Old July 9, 2014   #135
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

[IMG][/IMG] I grew three plants from JxGZ f2 seeds. All three plants have different fruit, but looked very similar and all have performed well in my 2014 garden. I have disease problems including rkn's in my sandy loam garden. All three plants show no signs of any problem and have survived two months of no rainfall and 100deg plus .... with irrigation only.