Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2012   #1
attml
Tomatovillian™

Default German Giant?

Received my order from Tomato Growers supply today and they very kindley threw in a free packet of German Giant seeds. I have never grown them before and couldn't find a lot of information on them. I saw that Tania described them as "pink fruit wih a very good taste, fair yield" on her Tomatobase website. Just wondering if anyone else has grown them and what their thoughts were? I am putting together my list for this year nad since I only have room for apx 40 plants I am trying to be selective. Thanks!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2012   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Ahh, so that is where they came from. I got my order from Tomato Growers in today as well and the German Giant were in there. I wondered why I ordered them, lol.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
Ahh, so that is where they came from. I got my order from Tomato Growers in today as well and the German Giant were in there. I wondered why I ordered them, lol.
In the front of the catalog and I'm sure at the website Linda says that the bonus seeds for 2012 are German Giant. Each year the bonus seeds are a different variety.
Old January 18, 2012   #4
attml
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn! Have you ever grown German Giant? Thanks!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by attml View Post
Thanks Carolyn! Have you ever grown German Giant? Thanks!

Mark
No Mark, I haven't.

This AM I was looking through all my seeds that I've saved since 1991 b'c someone wants me to find some older ones of varieties that seem to have morphed into something else and I didn't see German Giant as one of them.

Long ago I probably should have set up an Excel data base but didn't, so what seeds I have is all up here, said Carolyn tapping her head.

But I was amazed, really, to find so many that I'd forgetten I'd grown that have now become ones of interest lately.

Trust me, the really great ones have never left the tomato area of my brain.
Old October 4, 2012   #6
Garf
Tomatovillian™

They are still doing it. I just got an order with the bonus pack. I had ordered some Tasti-Lee
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2012   #7
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I grew it this year in a not so good weather year. Only grew one plant. Below average production of fairly good tasting 9-13 oz fruits.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i also got these as a freebie. have a few seeds started and debating if they will make the cut in my garden. anyone with pos/neg experience?

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #9
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

I received this free package of German Giant. I finally have two fruits. Is it suppose to have green shoulders? It looks pink but with the green top. Anybody else planted their freebie?

Tomato Growers Supply has a all red tomato picture but describes it as pink, "GERMAN GIANT #5817 (30 seeds) This family heirloom variety produces an abundance of deep pink tomatoes that are just huge and brimming with luscious flavor. The plant's potato-leaved foliage may remind you of Brandywine, but this one matures fruit that are earlier, larger, and more plentiful than those of Brandywine. German Giant tomatoes are smooth in shape, 2 lbs. or more, and full of that rich but sweet taste that makes a tomato scrumptious. Indeterminate. 77 days."
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #10
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i have 1 plant in the garden and its healthy and pruned to a single or maybe 2 stems. it will prob be close to a month before i have a ripe fruit from the plant

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #11
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

I have been getting tomatoes off my German Giant for a few weeks now. I've attached a couple of picks. Today I got my biggest (17oz). But I've had a half dozen already that were 10-13 oz each. The plant is about 7 feet tall. If it keeps kicking them out I will be growing it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GermanGiant17oz.jpg (28.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg GermanGiantPlant.jpg (46.2 KB, 28 views)
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I had tragic results with german giant. Never have I had a variety close to dropping blossoms so much. Only had like 2 fruits.
If you live in a more humid area, don't get your hopes up. Taste is ok. Will get watery if there's much rain.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #13
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Frankbenjones, your tomatoes look great!

I grew mine in a single stem and this is my first one out of two. Note the green shoulders. Was I too impatient? It started to crack so I thought it best to harvest it. Today I will taste it for lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg German Giant tomato.jpg (20.8 KB, 21 views)
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #14
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Jitomate View Post
Frankbenjones, your tomatoes look great!

I grew mine in a single stem and this is my first one out of two. Note the green shoulders. Was I too impatient? It started to crack so I thought it best to harvest it. Today I will taste it for lunch.
Thanks. I guess I've been luck that mine are turning out looking so nice. They are ripening evenly and all have pretty much looked like the picture above and I haven't had any crack. Smallest was maybe 6 oz, the larges 17oz. I pruned some of the suckers as it was growing but haven't pruned it in over a month. Hope it's tasty for you. I'm just happy to have my first tomato over 1 lb!
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote