Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2013   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default BER Help!

I know there is a lot of information on BER, but I can't seem to find it, guess I don't know how to search for it.
In any event, I've found a few tomatoes, Cuor di Bue and Bloody Butcher with Ber.
I am container growing, large containers. 20 gallon and have been using a soilless mixture, added lime, fertilizer, etc. I have been careful about watering. The plants are very healthy. I know that sometimes in the beginning, it's not unusual for a few to have it. Just wanted to know the best way to treat it.
I am using a fertilizer with calcium by Myke's. Should I add extra lime to control it?
Thanks,
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I know there is a lot of information on BER, but I can't seem to find it, guess I don't know how to search for it.
In any event, I've found a few tomatoes, Cuor di Bue and Bloody Butcher with Ber.
I am container growing, large containers. 20 gallon and have been using a soilless mixture, added lime, fertilizer, etc. I have been careful about watering. The plants are very healthy. I know that sometimes in the beginning, it's not unusual for a few to have it. Just wanted to know the best way to treat it.
I am using a fertilizer with calcium by Myke's. Should I add extra lime to control it?
Thanks,
Sharon
I grew Bloody Butcher this past season, boy what a BER magnet it was. I also grow in containers. I bought calcium nitrate, very water soluble, very economical since you only use 1/2 tsp per gallon. This was recommended here in he container gardening forum. It's a godsend! Not one more got BER after I started using it( once per week).
I got mine at Kelp4less.com. I think you can get it on Amazon too.
Here's my theory on why container growing is more prone; we put our dolomite lime in near the top 1/3, at least that is where earthbox instructions say to put it, and that's what I use. They say to put it there because its the upper roots that absorb he calcium, supposedly also true of soil planted not container end tomatoes. When we plant our young seedlings, we plant them very deep, so the root all present isn't near he dolomite layer. It takes a while for the young plant to grow into the calcium layer, and when it does, the plant outgrows the BER problem. This I just my theory, nothing scientific about it. I just know the liquid calcium nitrate given at first and continued gave me all plants that never got BER from the beginning.
Sorry for the long winded post, but the stuff is so cheap, and used as directed, it couldn't hurt!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #3
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

What color are your containers? If they're dark they might be trapping extra heat inside the roots when the sun shines on it- that will aggravate BER, I've got that problem with my brandywines. You can make a sun shade or paint the container white.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #4
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

I always have BER early in my containers, except this year I don't have any. This year I've been feeding Dyna Gro Liquid Grow since the seeds sprouted. Previous years I've used Tomato Tone and Miracle Grow. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Could be the weather this year. Could be the new fertilizer has better calcium and stuff. Anyway, I'm super happy with my new fertilizer and the lack of BER. YMMV .
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. When I made my container mix, I put the calcium in from the beginning. So it should have been spread throughout. My containers are from Hydofarm, and are a charcoal color but very breathable. I am wondering if its partly due to the extreme weather conditions, very cold to extremely hot and humid and I think I might be guilty of over fertilizing, which can happen sometimes.
I have removed the damaged fruits and will continue to do so. I am going to send away for the calcium nitrate if I can't find it locally. I have one BB in a container and that's the one with BER and another that I planted in soil, so it will be interesting to see how that one fares. 95% of my plants are in containers so I think the calcium nitrate sounds like a great option.
I don't think I can find DynaGrow in my area in Montreal. I have looked for it as others have recommended it.
Thanks for all the help!
Old July 11, 2013   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, can you give me the name of the product you bought.,
Thx, Sharon
Old July 11, 2013   #7
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Use a foliar spray containing chealted Calcium. Foliar chealted calcium will travel much faster through your plant than the calcium in your soil coming through the roots. Foliar sprays do work great to correct nutrient and mineral deficiencies. Also they translocate through the entile plant including the fruit. Think about this, did you ever give a weed a foliar spray of Round Up? What happened? Killed the plant including the roots. Sure I sell foliar sprays for tomatoes but they still work.
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #8
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Hydro.../dp/B0013LQJKU

I had no idea you could buy fertilizer "ingredients" on Amazon. I'm tempted to purchase some and mix up an old recipe I saw in a book recently, just to see how it works.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote