Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2013   #46
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

What are disease experiences like with the dwarfs? I have a Sleeping lady and Dwf Wild Fred already going down to something.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #47
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Chris,
My experience is that all eight dwarf project varieties I have grown over two years are not particularly resistant, if not prone, to disease. All of mine are well on their way down, but so is most everything else. Pretty much on schedule around here, except fewer tomatoes due to the late and cooler than usual Spring.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #48
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Summertime Gold and Sean's Yellow Dwarf seem to be more tolerant
of the diseases than the others I've grown.

Tasmanian Chocolate was one of the worst, but set fruit early and often
to make up for it.

As the goal was big, flavorful fruit, we didn't do much selection for disease tolerance. But the feedback is great to know what to look for.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #49
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Having grown hundreds of them over the years as we develop them, there are a few generalities - perhaps (since there are so many variables season to season, garden to garden, etc)...

No dwarf has issues like some indeterminates that I've grown - Green Zebra, Silvery Fir Tree, Southern Night, Yellow Pear - I can barely get yields from any of them without them going down. I've had very, very few dwarfs go down prior to getting at least a few fruit, and most do quite well.

Because the foliage on them is just so dense, any presence of infecting agents, especially during hot and humid weather, can cause issues. Best thing to do is keep good air circulation around them - I am also wondering if doing some careful pruning of some of the inner foliage to open up the center of the plant a bit could help.

It would take lots of growing of each them various ways in different regions during different seasons to start to make some definitive conclusions, however....
Old June 9, 2013   #50
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I did not have any disease issues with Yukon Quest or Iditarod Red last season.

So far this year, none of the varieties I'm growing are showing signs of disease either, but its very early.

All varieties have set fruit except Sweet Sue. In fact, of all the tomatoes I'm growing, only Sweet Sue and Winsall are fruit-less. Each have dropped a set of trusses and have another nearing the opening stage. Its been pretty mild the last couple weeks so that could be a factor. Maybe Sweet Sue and Winsall like a little more heat and/or humidity.

For reference I'm growing these dwarfs:

Sweet Sue x2
Yukon Quest x2
Iditarod Red
Serendipity Cherry F7 x2
Dwarf Golden Heart F8 x4
Tasmanian Chocolate x2
Rosella Purple x2
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #51
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have had no unusual disease experiences with dwarfs from the dwarf project growouts. Given good growing conditions, the've gone to the end of the season in good shape. I've had virtually no issues with my potted plants. The diseased plants were those in subprime garden locations, with sandy poor soil, not enough fert and drying out with too little watering, none of the big indets in those locations did well either.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #52
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Craig, tomatoes are self pollinating (mostly), did you or anyone else try to grow Dwarfs under the fluorescent lamp during winter? I love my black tomatoes during the summer and fall, I miss having them at winter or spring.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #53
NickD
Tomatovillian™

Raybo grew several of the project dwarfs (along with a few other types) indoors under an HID light a couple of years ago. Here's the thread, which he updated throughout the winter:

Raybo's InnTainer 2011/12 Winter Indoor Tomato Project - Year #2 (pics)

He seemed to have good success with it, I think I might give it a try this winter... I miss the BLTs!

Nick
NickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #54
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

thank you, Nick,

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #55
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the points Steve. Last year Ted finally got to see what I was talking about. I actually selected for those points and taste of course! I thought for awhile that Loxton Lass would beat them all since it was the first to have buds/flowers but it has stalled!
Sue
Sue, just an update on the Iditarod Red points. I couldn't determine what influenced the "pointyness" - they appeared (apparently) randomly on most plants. I assume it was an environmental thing? Maybe temp or fertilizer.

On a side note, the IR fruit was extremely flavorful this year - I thought last year it was just a nice, early red, similar in flavor to Moravsky Div. This year it was a standout. Also, I picked one pink fruit today (clear epidermis) so will plant it right back to see if it grows true. Hopefully, will soon have an "Iditarod Pink" to add to the collection

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #56
thefluffybunny
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to thank everyone involved in the dwarf project.

I labored at this for several years back in the late 80s early 90s using Tiny Tim a parent. Results were okay, but not what I was looking for, However it sounds like this project has been very successful, so I can appreciate all the effort that has gone and continues to go into the project. Thanks to all involved.

I have recommended several people try the varieties out. They sound wonderful.
thefluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #57
thefluffybunny
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Having grown hundreds of them over the years as we develop them, there are a few generalities - perhaps (since there are so many variables season to season, garden to garden, etc)...

No dwarf has issues like some indeterminates that I've grown - Green Zebra, Silvery Fir Tree, Southern Night, Yellow Pear - I can barely get yields from any of them without them going down. I've had very, very few dwarfs go down prior to getting at least a few fruit, and most do quite well.

Because the foliage on them is just so dense, any presence of infecting agents, especially during hot and humid weather, can cause issues. Best thing to do is keep good air circulation around them - I am also wondering if doing some careful pruning of some of the inner foliage to open up the center of the plant a bit could help.

It would take lots of growing of each them various ways in different regions during different seasons to start to make some definitive conclusions, however....
I grow several fruits that are highly susceptible to brown rot / grey mold etc. Since I am a home grower, for my own consumption I can use remedies that are not practical for commercial purposed.

One of simplest and effective measures I take is to simply use a box fan to increase air circulation on susceptible varieties.

As you can see from the photos I have a fairly dense planting and limited sunlight with poor air circulation. The fan works very well drying the plants off in the morning as the sun does not reach them until afternoon.

Tomatoes2009.jpg

TomatoHedgeRow.jpg
thefluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #58
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Tasmanian chocolate not from the grow out project. Got the seeds from Tatiana. Finally starting flowers and so far healthy. Craig, I agree with you about Green Zebra. After several years of growing it, I gave up. It always had BER or something. Just wasn't worth the effort.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #59
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

None of my dwarfs have succumbed to any disease - or even shown any signs of yellowing at all. They seem very hearty - Iditarod Red, Beryl Beauty, Dwarf Wild Fred, LGS.

Is Dwarf Beryl Beauty the tallest of the dwarfs? It has reached 5 feet for me, while the others are four feet and under.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #60
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Beryl Beauty is a Sneezy - they tend to be on the taller side.