Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 3, 2013   #16
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Well, the Nyagous stopped turning brown! The other two were too far gone, I think. They don't seem to be getting worse other than losing the tips, but no sign of new growth yet.

It's incredibly hard to balance watering in our climate. The plants can be drowning underneath while broiled on top. I'm not quitting yet, but I definitely see why we sre considered to have two short seasons instead on one long one!

I will go out first thing in the morning with the magnifying glass. I saw a tiny black bug running around on the Nyagous.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #17
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I checked, and I don't see any new thrip damage. There are a few very tiny black specks on the tops and some bottoms of a couple of the worst hit plants (which seem to be growing suckers back even if they lost the growing tips). I also spotted two tiny green bugs that looked like miniature grasshoppers, chasing around and being chased by a husky little black bug.

And now I've got ANTS! They are using my raised bed frame as a freeway. None on the plants, though.

Another thing I noticed -- the plants that lost their growing tips are extremely fuzzy (hairy?), all along the stem.

If nothing else, this has been a fantastic learning experience!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote