Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2013   #1
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

Default When do tumblers start tumbling down?

I received seeds for a pink tumbler from a T'ville member that I planted in two planters in my son's preschool garden. I havent staked or caged them because I thought its growth habit was to tumble over, all vine-like, hanging down the sides of the container. Right now it is still standing upright and approx 18" tall...

At what point does this thing start tumbling? Or should I conclude from this that I have some mysterious variety but that it will not develop the tumbling habit?

Also related, supposing this is a tumbler...are you supposed to sucker them or just let them go?

Thanks!
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I grew seed named Pink Tumbler this year and it was such a strong upright grower, I was sure I had wrong seed. As it set fruit however, the branches started to bend down.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi there,
it will start to "tumble" at any time if it is not supported. (you can plant in a regular pot and use a small cage if you want to.) the weight of the fruit will pull the branches down in a hanging basket sooner or later.
** Tumblers are determinate plants so do not prune them as this will reduce your yields. let them just do their thing.
Once they get going there is no stopping them. here' is a pic of mine taken yesterday. There are 3 plants in this 16" basket: Anmore dewdrop, Anmore treasures ( pink and red OP tumblers from Tatiana's stabilized by her) and tumbling Tom yellow. it's about four feet across at the base with plenty of growing yet to do. I expect hundreds of cherries from this basket over the season.
Enjoy
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1124.jpg (642.4 KB, 33 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I learned from a commercial greenhouse customer several years ago that the way to get the best looking hanging basket from a Tumbler is to pinch out the growing tip when the plant has 4 - 6 true leaves. Then let the suckers grow on as the branch and arrange them around the pot. That way you will have branches coming down all around the pot rather than just 1 main branch on a lopsided pot.

BTW, while some catalogs list Tumbler as a Hybrid, others do not, so I don't know for sure which is correct. The Pink Tumbler that originated from me is most likely an accidental cross with another cherry. It will still have about 50% red plants rather than pink. I'm working on that. Also where I got it from originally doesn't say if it's determinate or indeterminate. From my experience it seems to be more semi if not fully indeterminate than determinate. At least it seems to go the whole season for me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #5
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I can vouch from personal experience that if you pinch the growing tip off of Red Fig or Early Girl, they will also tumble.

KarenO, that is a lovely basket! I never thought of putting that many plants in a single spot.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote