Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2013   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default watering tomatoes, how much is just right?

I am growing German Pink tomatoes in my hoop house in Iowa and currently am watering them about 1&1/2 gal.per plant every other day. They look very healthy at this point and are setting fruit. Still , being an relative newbe at this.

I feel as though I'm guessing my way through. It does get hot in there.

How much is just right?
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #2
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

I am only in my 2nd year and can only tell you what I do. I have clear plastic down in part to prevent our New England drenchings from splitting all of my tomatoes. That said, I think I turn on my soaker (under-plastic soaker) for about 10 minutes probably every two non-rainy days.

The only way I came up with that schedule was simply sticking my fingers in the dirt every day.
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #3
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

It all depends on how large your plants are, what type of medium they are planted in, temperature, humidity, and amount of time in the sun. To make things more simple just look at the plant, then stick your finger in the soil 2 inches or a lil more. Does the plant look droopy? Does the soil feel dry? If so water. Take time to notice how hot its been dry or humid and how your plant looks, when the last time you watered and how much you watered.

Watering can be a dynamic amount. The plant and soil will tell you when they need water and how much. It's up to you to remember "oh ya its around 90 degrees and this xxx potting mix really dries out fast compared to this other xxx potting mix, i'm going to have to water more frequently otherwise its going to turn into a pot of dust in this heat". The amount of water is what ever amount it takes to fully saturate all the roots. It's up to you to decide. If you have to water a area then dig down and see just how deep did it saturate after letting it sit for say 30 minutes is then just do it. If its in a pot or 5 gallon bucket water till you see it run out the weep holes on the bottom.

Tomato plants like to be watered in the morning and don't like going to bed wet imo. Tomato plants also don't like to have their roots constantly sitting in water either, so it's important not water again until the soil dries up some "but not completely you don't want to let your soil dry to dust then water again, you want to water when the top two inches of soil or so gets dry not your entire container". It is also important to water deeply enough to full saturate the roots, if you don't water enough you promote a shallow root system.

Last edited by Tapout; June 21, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #4
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your input. I know its seems like a dumb question, but this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes and I really want to get it right. I have been growing tomatoes, f1s for years, but really just stuck them in and let them go. As I have aged, I have gotten obsessed with learning to be a better gardener. I journal, document results, try new things. I guess I'm at the right place.

I've had trouble with cracking last season and read it is sometimes due to over/under watering. I don't want my babies cracking.
Old June 21, 2013   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've had trouble with cracking last season and read it is sometimes due to over/under watering. I don't want my babies cracking.
Don't feel bad. Most of my cracking is due to heavy rainfall right when the tomatoes are maturing, and not much we can do about mother nature if you grow outside.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I actually have found that I have a tendency to overwater. I use mainly captured rainwater, and I always think "it's so hot out! they must need water".

I've heard several times the suggestion to wait 'til they wilt, but it makes me nervous!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #7
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

I use a moisture meter. When it gets down to 3 or 4 I water that plant.
Only have 16 in 25 gallon Smartpots, 2 in the ground (clay dirt with some dirt improving condiments) and 8 in raised beds, so I am able to treat them as 26 individuals.
They are all different using my criteria above.

Duplicate cultivars:
Nebraska Wedding in all 3 mediums
KBX in raised bed and dirt
Stump of the World in SmartPot and Raised bed.
Only ones not thriving are Cherokee Purple in pot (cat dug up the night after transplant and replanted) and Neb Wedding in dirt.

Last edited by Sodak; June 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #8
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

What type/brand of moisture meter do you use? Are you happy with it?

It sounds like it takes some of the guess work out of the equation.

Thank you for your response.
Old June 22, 2013   #9
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I am not sodak...but I can help a bit. I have 3 moisture meters in different locations in my orchards/gardens. They are all inexpensive. They have worked well for me...and actually give very similar readings when compared one-to-another.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #10
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

My KBX's are growing like gang busters in a potato row. I have only had to water my tomatoes maybe twice this season. Mother nature has taken care of them for me with rain at least once a week. The other reason why my tomato plants are not needing constant watering is due to the depth at which I planted them. I planted the majority of them about 20inches deep (thats to the bottom of the root ball. The root ball it self was about 5 inches). I had massive seedlings by the time I got them into the garden. My soil is extremely sandy and dries out fairly quick so planting them pretty deep has helped with watering.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #11
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I am not sodak...but I can help a bit. I have 3 moisture meters in different locations in my orchards/gardens. They are all inexpensive. They have worked well for me...and actually give very similar readings when compared one-to-another.
I do not know the brand names, but have three or four in various places and they behave as described by Ed. I prefer the ones with a probe on a cord attached to the meter over the ones that have a meter at the end of the probe, due to ease of reading from multiple angles. The one hand use is nice with the "stick" type, but if I struggle to read the meter that advantage is lost.
Old June 22, 2013   #12
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

I did buy a cheap moisture meter today at Ace Hardware. It seems to work ok. It will give me some confidence I am giving them adequate water without over doing it.

Again, thank you for your input.