Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2013   #31
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Yep, every morning. As they say, the best fertilizer is the gardener's footsteps in the garden.

Always on the lookout for fungus, tomato russet mites, gophers, and plants that need a little extra care.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #32
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Sometimes in the morning, before my work day starts, I'll spend it walking through the garden, pulling a weed here, a sucker there, and generally looking at and enjoying everything. Especially now, with so much life, flowers in bloom, tomatoes fruiting, etc.

I have yet to walk around with my cup of coffee in hand, but that may be next!

Does anyone else's morning routine include a garden walk?

Kathy
So you've been watching me eh!

Don't have to work at present so I walk around checking it 3 or 4 times a day
Hey sometimes I even weed it
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #33
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pictures everyone! This morning I took my morning walk -- a little shorter than I would've liked because it was looking like it might rain -- and took a few pictures as promised. The first is a dahlia blooming in front, followed by Greek Domata, which has probably our biggest fruit at present. Then our Sprite plant, loaded up with blooms!

Dahlia

Greek Domata

Sprite

Last edited by KathyDC; June 19, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #34
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I only take a walk through my yard and garden every morning and every evening. The only exception is in the event of rain (had too much of that this year) and on the weekends. On the weekends I go out in the morning and pretty much just stay all day

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #35
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Kind Of... The garden IS my job. I go out and spend all day every day except Sunday in the garden. I grow for farmers markets so I have to be out there everyday except when I am at a market.
Old June 19, 2013   #36
Garden/Arborist
Tomatovillian™

We've got an old truck with a box on it that is about 12 ft. high. I like to sit up there in the morning with my coffee and watch the sun come up and of course watch the birds. It's my vantage point for most of my garden photos.

The sun is just up over the horizon, you can see it on one of the trees in the background.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just after sunrise.JPG (594.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Garden/Arborist; June 20, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Garden/Arborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #37
indigosand
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminNJ View Post
I like Cubanelle or Banana peppers in my scrambled eggs, so I'll take a walk around before picking some for breakfast. When the corn is pollinating is my favorite time, I love the smell, and watching the bees loaded with so much pollen that it's all they can do to fly.
Yes! I thought I was the only one that could smell that! My family looks at me when I tell them it's just a clean, sweet smell. Mine has tassels in bloom right now also. Every morning as soon as I can get away from the chickens and turkeys pleading to be let out, I walk thru but my coffee rarely stays in my hand. Seems as though it gets put down almost immediately as I see something that needs tending to. I love to spend evenings out in the garden and enjoy the heavy smell of flowers on the air and the beauty of moonlight cast over the plants.
Old June 20, 2013   #38
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

You all are poets! I love the idea of sitting perched up high on your big old truck.

Kathy
Old June 20, 2013   #39
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Yes, it does, Kathy, and your thread inspired me to take my camera along this morning! Sometimes I'll take even take my smoothie with me, stroll, admire, and do whatever can be done with one hand while I make mental notes about what needs to be done that day. Actually since I'm retired I spend lots of time in the garden each day weather permitting but it's important to remember to slow it down a bit from time to time and just stroll.
Here's what caught my eye on this beautiful morning:

What beautiful pictures Kath! I would say thats one happy garden. Same for Tom a to great pics.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #40
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Argh! Well, when I was out in the garden this morning, here's what I noticed -- a tomato exhibiting a trait I wasn't expecting!

This is a picture of our Creole plant, whose fruits appear to be forming a nipple on the blossom end. I've never grown it before but this doesn't seem typical of any Creole fruit I've ever heard about. So either I got a cross, or it was a mixed-up seed! I don't guess it's possible it could "grow out" of the nipple? - especially since even at this small size they appear fairly pronounced.

Surprise surprise!

Creole??

Not looking very Creole

And a sunflower!

Kathy

Last edited by KathyDC; June 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old June 20, 2013   #41
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
What beautiful pictures Kath! I would say thats one happy garden...
Thanks, Crandrew- no complaints here. It's been an outstanding year so far. Hoping yours is the same.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #42
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Absolutely. On my stroll this morning I found my first tomato plant killed and eaten by gophers.
Ouch, I feel that pain.

I do a garden stroll often, maybe not too early in the morning...
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote