Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2013   #1
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Default brutal spring

Hi all,
i grow tomatoes here in Italy. We had a terrible spring, very cold and wet. I planted about a month late (mid may) and my plants are about a foot, foot1/2 right now.
I have been cutting off any small green tomatoes and even some flowers in an effort to get the plants to grow. Can someone tell me if this is a bad idea?
thanks!!!
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

They should root more vigorously without flowers and fruit. Cross
your fingers for a warmer fall than spring and no early frosts.
Old June 16, 2013   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i know the feeling. we have just had the 12th coolest spring on record here in michigans copper country. i have only just planted my tomatoes outside. we already have a short season. if we get a september frost, i may not have many ripe tomatoes this year. i would also suggest letting the plants grow more before setting fruit.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #4
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

thanks all!!!
"in boca al lupo" with your tomatoes this summer!!!!
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

It's not so much how tall as how bushy and tall. A short plant can still produce good tomatoes if it has mature size leaves and is "bushy" and healthy. I usually 9 times out of 10 leave any set fruit on the vines. But I always set out seedlings that are still in growth phase much smaller than most people do. So if the vine decides to set fruit, that is its adaptation to the weather. It does make a difference depending on other factors like this. You planted a month late so your plants are going to be smaller when they start setting fruit. It is just the way it is. But if you set the plants out in the growth phase, then they will start flowering when ready, and the fruit will be fine generally. Picking flowers and set fruit off is just reducing your harvest and making it worse. Keep in mind this is a different phenomenon than flowers and fruit set while still a seedling or just a week after transplant. Those flowers I would pick off. This is mid June, a full month after transplant and the heat of the sun is high now. Let them fruit as long as the growth you see is mature growth. It is hard to describe over the internet. Sorry about that. I also set my plants out a month later than normal. So the plants are smaller, obviously. But a full 70-80% of them have the "mature" look and are flowering and setting fruit just fine. No stunting of growth. I have a few that aren't ready and those I would pick off any flowers.

A picture would help. Easier to see it than describe it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote