Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 7, 2013   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default spoiled straw -- ok to use as mulch?

At one of the community gardens, straw bales are available for $10 to use as mulch. I hauled one out from under the tarp, hauled it over to my plot, and cut it open, and it's mostly spoiled -- looks like at least half of it is wet and dark brown/black, well into the center.

I wanted to use it as a mulch around my young vegetable plants. If it dries out and isn't moldy, might it be safe to use it?

I intended to spend an hour mulching my garden, finally. But I got so discouraged when I saw what shape the straw was in that I spent an hour pulling bermuda grass from the paths. (weeding therapy)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Personally I prefer spoiled hay and/or straw. I usually ask for it when available. It is just the decomposition process started already.

Just like leaf mold is superior to leaves, and composted manure is superior to fresh manure, so old spoiled straw and hay are superior to fresh in most cases.

10 dollars seems high for spoiled straw. But hey, supply and demand I guess.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I also prefer spoiled hay - used it for decades. Just bought 30 bales at $2.50/bale delivered.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is high. It looks like they bought a lot at once last year and then did not store it properly through the rainy season (or used a holey tarp). At another garden, I stored half a bale all winter and it didn't get wet or moldy at all. Also, this spoiled bale was crawling with ants -- the main reason I didn't want to use it right away -- so I watered the surface to encourage them to leave.

Sigh.

I guess I'll get the face mask out (in case it's moldy) and use it. But I really hate paying that much for spoiled straw!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #5
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

herbicide test. better to be safe

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...amination.html

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i will ditto redbaron's comment.

jon