Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 10, 2013   #1
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato leaves problem

My tomatoes leaves are growing weird. Some are upside down and curly.

tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #2
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Two people I shared my tomato extras have also asked me why their bottom leaves were rolled up. One of them had their tomato plants in containers with a large saucers, so the plant was getting too wet. He removed the saucers and cut the rolled leaves off. I told him to only water when it feels dry. The other person had their tomato plant planted in a raised bed and she treated it with a fungicide. She was also watering too much--everyday! Eventually she cut the leaves off and had her husband adjust the drip system.

Let's see what others say.
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

All of the Amish Paste plants I have are doing the same thing. They also have a perpetually thirsty look to the leaves, but I've convinced myself that the leaves are just droopy by nature. I hope its not the dreadful whitefly curly yellow death virus I've read about.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

The top photo looks like typical growth for the wispy-leaf varieties.

The bottom photo looks like physiological leaf roll. Several things can cause it but none are serious and the condition won't affect production. As long as the leaves are a healthy green color (with no mottling) and normal size/shape, I wouldn't suspect virus or herbicide damage.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #5
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Yup, they're amish paste. I cut back on the watering, only when they look droopy. I have black cherries growing in containers that are doing GREAT until the wind blew a tree onto it and crushed it.

The thing is I planted these exactly the same time as my grandparents home using essentially the same dirt mixture, only difference being the native soil. My grandparents plants are double the size with full lush leaves. I should go take a picture. I planted out 4 different gardens, i should take a picture of each one when i can.

Grandparents Amish Paste

Last edited by tqn626; April 10, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 10, 2013   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

My Amish paste and Opalka plants have that kind of wispy leaf. Some of the Amish paste leaves are 16 inches long and look like some kind of vine, and twisted several times. They also seem to be able to grab things for support, which is kind of odd.

The pic is an Amish paste leaf about 16 inches long and very curly and twisted.
Ive never grown any of the wispy leaved heirlooms so their unusual leaves always has me suspecting something is wrong.

The lower leaves of the Opalka seem pretty normal, but the newest growth at the top of the plant is beginning to get that curly look to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (20).jpg (374.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Stvrob; April 10, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old April 10, 2013   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Are you sure thats an Amish Paste at your grandparents? It doesnt have that wispy-leaf look to it. Maybe their's gets more sun? Less sun?
Old April 10, 2013   #8
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure, I brought over plants labeled amish paste, 1 was a cherokee, but I planted that one on the far left. I have pictures of the others, they all look the same so I posted the biggest one.

Theirs is shaded by 3 trees, but gets about 3/4th day sun. Their soil is extremely fertile, they been working it for the past 40 years, only recently they gotten too old so i've been doing it for them. Maybe it their technique of watering the plants, they just brutalize it with a hose spray while I water gently as possible.

Last edited by tqn626; April 10, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old April 10, 2013   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Well, it does look pretty healthy. Mine look like weeping willows by comparison. The fruits look pretty weird also. Too dark now to get a pic.

If thats the way they are supposed to look maybe mine do have some kind of disease. I kind of halfway expect to discover that something is wrong with them everytime I look at them.
Old April 10, 2013   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Amish Paste and Opalka both have wispy foliage and the leaves do tend to curl and flip upside.
down. Totally normal, nothing to worry about.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray!
Old April 17, 2013   #12
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Checked grandparents plants, fruit are about 1 inch, confirm that they're amish paste. I wonder how come their leaves aren't wispy like mines.
Old April 17, 2013   #13
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Do the Amish Paste at your grandparents look like this? They all seem to have that teat looking end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (22).jpg (251.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg photo (21).jpg (238.6 KB, 27 views)