Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 27, 2012   #31
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Pants. - according to the person that sent in the "Travel" seed from the Netherlands...it is also known as "voyage".

The "Seek no further love apple" seeds were sent in as bonus seeds by Tormato. You may wish to contact Tormato directly for additional information.

The "Annie Sunshine" seeds were sent in by "Patty_b" of this forum. Patty's member id is also marked on all of the packets she sent in. You may wish to contact her for additional info.

I contacted the person that sent in the "Hanston Yellow" seeds. They were seeds that were purchased from "New World Seeds". Unfortunately most of the seed descriptions for the newer varieties they sell have been taken down from the site, so it makes it impossible for you to look up information. The person that sent in the seeds did not keep detailed notes, but did indicate they were smaller/medium size yellow tomato. reasonably sweet and prolific. I hope this helps.

Thanks....Heather

Last edited by hmacdona; December 28, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Toramato is also at this site and I know him very well, so I'm interested to know what he has to say about it, where he got it from and where he might have sent seeds, so please ask him to read this thread and respond here, b'c I really want to know as well.

Carolyn
Old December 31, 2012   #33
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Tania gave all the correct information for "Annie Sunshine".. my favorite yellow cherry. If you like yellow cherry tomatos, you should love this one too! Patty

Originally Posted by Tania
Annie Sunshine - was a volunteer plant from the garden of Patty Brown, Ohio. Patty thought it was probably a mutation from Gregg Park's Golden Egg. Named by and after Patty Brown's daughter, Andrea.
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll post the low down on "Seek-No-Further Love Apple" in a few days, hopefully.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #35
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Tormato thanks I'll watch. Thanks everyone for all the help. I now have at least a little bit of info for all 5 thanks to this thread.

I'll keep an eye out at Tom Wagner's website for when their catalog comes back online for the Hanston Yellow description.
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #36
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

I too will watch for Seek-no-further love apple info, but I have already decided to plant it just because the name is so neat
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes I got it too, so my eyes are on this thread too.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #38
kath
Tomatovillian™

Tormato was fortyonenorth's source for SNFLA, too, several years ago.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #39
Tania
Tomatovillian™

So it would be great to know what Tormato's source was.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
So it would be great to know what Tormato's source was.
Tormato said that "S-N-F LA" is a "working name" for a mislabeled variety he received with the label "Red Brandywine" but it grew out a RL pink fruited plant. That's what I found out from 41N- hope it's ok that I shared this but I know folks are anxiously awaiting the details on this one. It could be a renaming of an already existing cultivar but maybe Tormato has some more thoughts as a result of his growouts in the intervening years.

Last edited by kath; January 7, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #41
Tania
Tomatovillian™

So I guess knowing the seed source may not add too much value...

Let's wait a bit longer

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2013   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Tormato said that "S-N-F LA" is a "working name" for a mislabeled variety he received with the label "Red Brandywine" but it grew out a RL pink fruited plant. That's what I found out from 41N- hope it's ok that I shared this but I know folks are anxiously awaiting the details on this one. It could be a renaming of an already existing cultivar but maybe Tormato has some more thoughts as a result of his growouts in the intervening years.
And I've been told, but didn't want to post it here until Gary did, that It's a name he gave to Missouri Pink Love apple, the tomato variety, but I forgot why.

I do know who got the supposed Red Brandywine and it was pink fruited so he renamed it but he swore me to secrecy and that's where it will stay, and has nothing to do with the one under discussion.

I just saw Gary posting at another message site, no t about this,less than an hour ago,so perhaps he''ll stop by.

Carolyn
Old January 8, 2013   #43
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I am anxiously waiting for Tormato's post. I also received SNFLA. Now I am intrigued.
Old January 9, 2013   #44
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I am anxiously waiting for Tormato's post. I also received SNFLA. Now I am intrigued.
For me reading at about the background of the tomatoes is half the fun. I love those posts here where Carolyn or someone else launches into a long discussion on a particular variety. Bonus points for ant story that delves into genetics; the Angora trait for example is very interesting, homozygous lethal just like hairless dogs.
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #45
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

"Seek-No-Further Love Apple" is a pink (clear skin) beefsteak on an indeterminate, regular leaf plant. A few years ago, one plant of S-N-F L A was the tallest plant I've ever had in my garden (8 ft). Plant height, though, is as variable as the weather. Some years it only gets to 5 1/2 ft. Branching is narrow, compared to most of the varieties I've tried.

Fruit size is 5-14 ounces, a very few to 1 lb, my largest was 20 ounces. I've never seen a fused-blossom fruit, so maybe it can get substantially larger. The shape is a typical beefsteak, an oblate (flattened) spheroid. It is usually fairly smooth. Often there is one ridge/fin running from the shoulders toward the blossom end. Overall, it is the meatiest tomato I've ever trialed, although this varies from tomato to tomato. One tomato in 2011 had heavy stitching. Saved seed from this tomato produced tomatoes mostly with moderate stitching. Therefore, I recommend only saving seed from the smoothest fruit.The interior has the darkest red locules (gel areas) that I've ever seen in any variety. Production, for me, has always been average, never very high, nor very low. About 15-25 tomatoes on a plant. In 2012's heat, it far outproduced all of my very large beefsteak types. 2012 also had the worst tomato splitting I've ever had in my garden. S-N-F L A only had a few 1/4" stem cracks, with no splitting anywhere else on the surface.

Flavor (my experience and opinion) is unique among many, many, hundreds (about 1,000) of tomatoes I've tasted, with no other tomato being close to this flavor. I've tasted only a few tomatoes that have a flavor all-their-own. Examples are Prue, Aunt Gertie's Gold, and Sungold. The best way I can describe this tomato is that it is tangy. Now, other tomatoes I put in the tangy category have both a sweetness I can taste, and a tartness I can taste, blending into an overall tanginess. With S-N-F L A , I cannot detect any sweetness, nor any tartness, just the balanced tanginess. I consider it having a full, rich, but not complex, flavor. It was the best tasting tomato in my garden in 2012. I've only given seeds to about 10 people in the past few years. And, I've only had one report back on its flavor. The report was that it was the best tasting in their garden, for that year. It is one, of only two, tomatoes that has never disappointed me with its taste, over many growing seasons. The other tomato is Sungold, but even "Sungold" disappointed me once (when it was an imposter). Every other tomato variety I've tried has been a dud, one time or another. So far, extreme weather (hot, cold, wet, dry) has had no effect on its flavor.

I will add that I use the lowest amounts of nitrogen fertilizer, and the longest gaps between watering that I can get away with, and still have relatively healthy plants. Also, my garden soil likely has a pH of about 5.0-5.5. So, as for its taste in other gardens, "your mileage may vary".

Part 2 will be on the history/mystery of this tomato.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote