Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 30, 2012   #1
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Default Spent Mushroom Substrate

I've been amending my Florida soil with spent mushroom substrate called mushroom compost at the mushroom farm. They sell it for $10 a scoop (the bucket on their huge front end loader). I was hiring a guy with an 18 cubic yard dump truck to deliver it to me but got myself this used 4 X 8 utility trailer. This is my second load -- just half a scoop and it cost me $5.00. I'm not sure what all is in it because as I understand mushroom farms each have their own list of ingredients; however, I know it has clay of some sort, straw and/or hay, animal manure(s) -- probably horse because I found a horse shoe in a previous load. I don't know what the long term effect will be but so far my plants seem to love it and I sure like the tilth of my previously sandy Florida soil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121130_143253_1.jpg (281.2 KB, 27 views)
Old November 30, 2012   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

mushroom compost is some of the best available. one thing to be cautious of is the PH.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote