Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 8, 2012   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default TPS seedlings 17 days from sowing

Late summer--early fall TPS seedlings do well for me as a way to grow little tubers to plant out the next spring. I will demonstrate transplanting tips during my talk in Portland this Tuesday.

The top row is a hybrid between Joe Kaighin and Tollocan. Joe Kaighin is 1/8 Tollocan; therefore it is a backcross of sorts to intensify the late blight resistance from the Mexican variety.

The second row from the top is a hybrid of PI320273 x 97H32-6. Half of these diploid seedlings will be fully self fertile which is nearly unknown in diploids..beings they are obligate outcrossers.

The bottom row is F-2 Papa Cacho....and I can already see the ones that will have pink or red flesh.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012   #2
Tom Wagner

Thanks to my talk in Portlant tonight....I have a home for these plants in a greenhouse tht is a 500 mile round trip for me. I will tranplant them in 72 cell trays...maybe 5 or 6 trays later this week and will take down to Oregon later...with maybe 150 varieties of tomatoes.
Old September 17, 2012   #3
Tom Wagner

Same tray. This photo was taken one month exactly from sowing. I have some transplanted and doing a few more today. All are going into greenhouses...two different locations.

I am posting this to show the growth of TPS seedlings....seems there is always someone even years later wanting to see the progression of growth to the point of optimal transplanting sizes.
Old September 18, 2012   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

wow they have grown a truck load so are they going into heated greenhouses Tom?

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #5
Tom Wagner

I finished transplanting the balance of the tray ...I think I have about 500 or so seedling TPS plants. Part are down in Portland, Or. bound for McMinnville and the balance are temporarily at a friend's place in Lake City WA.

I am hoping to get at least mini tubers from them...and hopefully golf ball size or larger.