Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 20, 2012   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Parks All Season Burpless

I have to give a shout out to this variety. It is very productive and mildew resistant.
I planted the variety in a container at the same time I planted Poona Kheera which is one of my favorite fresh eating cukes.
The PK took off early and looked like it would easily out perform the Parks variety.
To date I have harvested 43 cukes from the Poona Kheera off of 7 plants in a container.
I have harvested 44 from the Parks variety from the same amount of plants.
Difference being the Poona Kheera is about done and having issues with some type of mildew, maybe powdery mildew.
The Parks variety has produced 44 to this point but is still very healthy with just a touch of the mildew issue. I could easily see it giving me 20 or 30 more cukes before it is done.

Good flavor and not bitter at all even when picked large. A winner for me this year no doubt and I have pickled some which turned out very good as well.
Old June 27, 2012   #2
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

I'm using this variety as part of my plan to 'outwit' the cucumber beetles. Since it's a self-pollinating variety, I have it growing up a CRW tellis (think oversized tomato cage) and have it sealed up underneath some summer weight row cover. I use clamps to hold the fabric in place. I also have some heavy duty landscaping fabric under the planted area so nothing can tunnel in.

So far, so good -- the cukes taste pretty good, and there's no sign of wilt (or bugs).
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #3
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip. I am growing sweet success this year for the first time and they do great for a few weeks but then the blossom/baby cukes about 6 feet up just start dying, greatly limiting my harvest.

Might try these next year.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote