Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 7, 2012   #1
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Default Deer damage question...

The water scarecrow was forgotten last night as the family frolicked in the unseasonably mild weather.

My garden was hit last night, looks like only one deer though, thankfully! The dadblasted creature filled up on 6 lettuce plants that had bolted, and I hadn't pulled - again another thing to be thankful for. But it almost chewed every single plant (many of my plants were very large some close to 10 feet, not too worried about those, but a few were smaller - maybe 3 foot. Those were topped off. Wondering how long that can delay things as I am trying staggered plantings.

-I guess this may stunt the ones that are topped off and delay that production by 2 weeks? 6 weeks? Unknown?

I am mad, and I want to cry, and I want to kill that deer with my bare hands. but mostly I am just mad(at myself for not turning that dang water scarecrow on!)
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #2
deerhunter
Tomatovillian™

i have an answer for ya . fencing. i have deer problems also but when hunting season comes along in the fall, i try to put a little venison in the freezer. it does help to keep them from over populating. a friend has electric fencing and says it works well.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #3
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Well, the water scarecrow has done a great job for us. We have watched it repel deer multiple times. It is my forgetfulness last night! My fault! Self-loathing does begin to encompass my feelings this morning. My neighbor does quite a bit of deer control during starting with bow season here. Love that!
Old June 7, 2012   #4
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Water Scarecrow??? What IS that? If it works, I need to try it Otherwise, my next step is electric fencing...
Old June 7, 2012   #5
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Look up water scarecrow on Amazon. It's about $45. Craig, nctomatoman, turned me on to it. It works!
Old June 7, 2012   #6
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks arivaraci...Sounds like it might be just the ticket!
Old June 7, 2012   #7
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
i have an answer for ya . fencing. i have deer problems also but when hunting season comes along in the fall, i try to put a little venison in the freezer. it does help to keep them from over populating. a friend has electric fencing and says it works well.
Even with an electric fence the problem is the same if you forget to turn it back on when you leave the garden.
Old June 7, 2012   #8
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

That water scarecrow is genius ! LOL Gotta love it.
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote