Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 1, 2012   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Lemon cukes and other non mainstream cukes

I was at Home Depot today looking to pick up some lemon cukes, a garden friend recommends them. so I purchased 2 plants. After getting home and doing some browsing on the SSE website I saw they have a true lemon cuke. The picture looks a little different from the HD plant. I went ahead and purchased some of the true lemon cuke seeds from the SSE website along with Armenian and Boothby's Blonde. I thought I would try these as well come fall. Whats your experience with lemon cukes and what are some of your favorite non mainstream cukes????

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #2
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i like lemon cukes- they are somewhat slow to start yielding but once they do they seem to deal with extreme summer heat better than traditional cukes.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Lemon and Boothbay were good performers for me, but more seeds than I prefer. I grew Poona Kheera last year and liked it very much.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

The only two unusual cukes I've grown are Armenian and Mexican Sour Gherkin and both are actually melons that taste like cukes.

I liked both, but the Armenian was clearly the most useful. It has a lovely slightly ribbed skin that I didn't even bother to peel if they were not too ripe. That gave the slices a pretty almost scalloped look. Even if it got too big, I would just peel it, scoop out the seeds and use the rest in salads. It didn't get bitter like a lot of overripe cukes.

The tiny Mexican sour Gherkins were adorable and quite tasty when eaten just before they ripened, but I didn't find them to be that practical. They were strictly "garden grazers", stuff you eat as you walk the garden. My son did like them, though, and wasn't too happy that I didn't plant them this year.

This year, I'm trying Poona Keera, in addition to the Armenians. That's plenty for us!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i grew lemon cukes 2 or 3 seasons back in the early 90's, they were the 1st 'odd' cuke i ever grew. i preferred long thin cukes so i never grew them again. they were ok no big deal. i let them sprawl on the ground.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Armenian and lemon. The lemon is a nice, "real" cuke. More heat hardy than most cukes, more hardy, period. Sweet, good for fresh or pickling.
The Armenian is my favorite. Not quite a cuke but once you get past that it's not quite cucumber, it's so womderful!
Sweet, juicy, never, ever bitter. Tender skin that is totally edible. Eat them about 18". They love heat, the more heat, the better.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Cukes are ok, but if you want more production, a long cuke (7-8") rather than an 8-ball and even better flavor, Poona Kheera.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #8
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i like te suyo long cuke it is sweet and productive also the mid easten cukes do well for me
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I have double yield growing and am thinking of starting some seeds also of the Mexican Sour Gherkins and something else I got at Seeds from Italy...Cucumber Carosello. I like planting cukes, just toss the seeds in soil and voila, no pots and indoor messes to deal with