Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 16, 2012   #1
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default Opinions on wicking in SWCs

Last year was my first year trying SWCs with a 4" wicking basket in 14 and 18 gal totes. My different tomatoes did fairly well considering the heat we had here in Oklahoma last year. But most of the time, my tomatoes showed varying signs of stress that I think was due to overwatering from the large wicking basket.

This year, I decided to use 3/8" nylon rope for wicks instead of a basket. I planted different varieties from March 16-30 in 5 gallon, 14 gal, and 18 gal SWCs using the 3:2:1 mix and using one wick in the 5 gallon buckets and 2 wicks in the 14 and 18 gallon totes. My tomatoes are doing fairly well again so far, but are showing signs of overwatering again (leaf curl and roll, a little low-stem yellowing, etc). I also had LOTS of BER on my first tomatoes on just about every plant. That seems to have fixed itself now, thankfully. The stress isn't real bad, and I have lot's of tomatoes. But it bothers me that they are stressed.

I'm seeking opinions on what I may have done wrong or what I may do differently next year.

Thanks.

Lee
Tulsa,OK
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #2
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I am getting this crazy idea that the size of the wicking chamber or wick does not control how wet the soil gets. Until it is so small that it can't keep up. And that would be no good. I am beginning to think that the soil mixture is the major item and will get too wet as long as the wick supplies water. I too have had most of mine overly wet. I will work on a dryer soil mix.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #3
PonyMan
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't a cotton rope wick better than nylon?

Steve
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #4
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

It might, but I worry about the cotton breaking down over the season. Besides, the nylon wicks very well. I am still wicking too much, I'm afraid.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #5
PonyMan
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that's good to know! I would've thought it to be the other way around! Thanks for the reply!

Steve
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote