Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2012   #196
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Future View Post
Sounds like a winner. how can get some seeds? You are among a few people who's seed collection make mine look meek...so dunno what I have that u do not...
First, it isn't good tomato etiquette to ask for seeds in threads b'c there already is a place to ask for seeds, and that's in the WANTED subforum of the Seed Exchange. Many times with very new varieties it puts pressure on those listing them in a grow out list and that isn't good. I know I gave up even posting a growout list for a couple of years b'c of some folks either asking outright in a thread for seeds or PMing me about, not good either.

Just ask if anyone has seeds for this or that or where you can purchase them in the WANTED subforum.

If folks have seeds to share either without or with trades, then they post those in the Trade Forum of the seed Exchange. But this is not the time of the eyar where you'll see all those offers b'c of when most folks have to sow seeds which starts arounf Xmas for those in the hotter growing zones/

I don't know if you want to just find seeds or if you want to trade them, that wasn't that clear to me.

But you also might want to consider looking at Tania's wonderful website to find which commercial places are offering which varieties.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page

I always encourage folks to buy at least half of the tomato seeds they want since in these economic times I think it's a good idea to help out the small family run seed businesses that so may here buy from and it's those folks who help preserve varieties as well. And they need the help.
Old May 4, 2012   #197
The Future
Tomatovillian™

F6 will work for me. I will make a note to make contact, say Oct.
Old May 4, 2012   #198
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Twofold apologies. 1. I did not realize the etiquette overstep but now that you point out the implications it makes perfect sense. 2. I posted my reply having not seen yours as dar jones was the last on the particular page.

Duly noted and will comply from here.

As a footnote I do also support the smaller growers: sandhill, gleckers and Tania have plenty of business from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
First, it isn't good tomato etiquette to ask for seeds in threads b'c there already is a place to ask for seeds, and that's in the WANTED subforum of the Seed Exchange. Many times with very new varieties it puts pressure on those listing them in a grow out list and that isn't good. I know I gave up even posting a growout list for a couple of years b'c of some folks either asking outright in a thread for seeds or PMing me about, not good either.

Just ask if anyone has seeds for this or that or where you can purchase them in the WANTED subforum.

If folks have seeds to share either without or with trades, then they post those in the Trade Forum of the seed Exchange. But this is not the time of the eyar where you'll see all those offers b'c of when most folks have to sow seeds which starts arounf Xmas for those in the hotter growing zones/

I don't know if you want to just find seeds or if you want to trade them, that wasn't that clear to me.

But you also might want to consider looking at Tania's wonderful website to find which commercial places are offering which varieties.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page

I always encourage folks to buy at least half of the tomato seeds they want since in these economic times I think it's a good idea to help out the small family run seed businesses that so may here buy from and it's those folks who help preserve varieties as well. And they need the help.

Last edited by The Future; May 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #199
gardengail
Tomatovillian™

hi, my name is gardengail and i am new to the forem, tried to follow your link to tatianas tomatos and get an error page, could you repost?
gardengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #200
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Gardengail, I tried the link just now and it works. Can you try again?
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #201
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
Gardengail, I tried the link just now and it works. Can you try again?
The first time I tried this PM it loaded OK, but the second time I tried for another variety it was loading so slowly that I gave up and will try later.
Old May 4, 2012   #202
gardengail
Tomatovillian™

tried again to no avail-will try later too
Old May 4, 2012   #203
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Default Tatian's order page

Tatiana's

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/seed-catalog/html/

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...itage_Tomatoes

Last edited by geeboss; May 4, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: can't spell for a darn
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #204
gardengail
Tomatovillian™

thank you very much! --Gail
Old May 4, 2012   #205
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I've got the following tomato varieties growing(in no particular order):

Pantano Romanesco
Marianna's Peace
Abruzze
Ernie's Plump
Caspian Pink
Sun Gold hybrid
Sun Sugar hybrid
Coyote
Nudi Family Heirloom
Lynwood
Magyar Piroska
Calf's Heart
Italian Heirloom
Petit Coeur de Boeuf
Rose de Summer
Weisnicht's Ukrainian
Red Brandywine
Jean's Prize
Rouge d' Amagu
Fish Lake Oxheart
Brandywine from Croatia
Fruit Punch
Coure Di Bue
Mexico Midgets(I'm guessing this is Mexico Midget...it was a freebie from a SSE member)
Monomakh's Hat
Scarlet Gem
Snag's Pride
Blondekopfchen
Cherry Roma
Brandywine(Sudduth's strain)
Dester's Amish Beefsteak
Bulgarian Triumph
Adventure
Greenbush Italian
Orange Minsk
Dingwall Scottie
Goose Creek
Magyar Piros Boker
Wisconsin 55
Bloody Butcher
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #206
bullish
Tomatovillian™

This years list for me (some leftover seeds from last year and some new ones):
NEW:
San Marzano 2
Chocolate Cherry
Opalka
Costoluto Genovese
Black from Tula
LAST YEAR:
Nyagous
Black Krim
Sarah Schwarze
Black Sea Man

Last edited by bullish; May 12, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
bullish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #207
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I really should not read this thread anymore. It has me making new lists for 2013 already oh my goodness. lol I have dug up as many flower beds and lawn as I can at this point, and need more pots. My screened porch is so full of seedlings my neighbors drop by just to chuckle at it all. Well, chuckle and then ask if I have any "extras", which I wouldn't mind giving them, but a few of them are known tomato killers! ha!
Old May 5, 2012   #208
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
. . .which I wouldn't mind giving them, but a few of them are known tomato killers! ha!
Just think of it as a way to trial new tomatoes. If the known tomato killers can't kill it then you've found a very good tomato for your area.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #209
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Lakelady, two years ago, I had about six plants left over. I had already given all of the others to anyone who would take them and was tired of being the crazy lady who walks around trying to pawn off plants on people! (which I had done the year before.)

So I gave them to my neighbor, whom I know doesn't even really like tomatoes. She said she would get her son to put them out, but they just sat by her back fence until they finally expired, still in their cups.

She still talks about being the terrible tomato killer, but as I told her, she did me a favor. She saved me from having to dig out a new bed or buy new containers. (Which I just couldn't do last year) I just CAN NOT let them die myself, because I've put months of my life into getting them to grow.

But once I gave them to her, they were hers and I could let go. For some reason, it was tolerable that she let them die, as long as it wasn't me.

No, it doesn't make sense, but there it is.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #210
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
...was tired of being the crazy lady who walks around trying to pawn off plants on people! So I gave them to my neighbor, whom I know doesn't even really like tomatoes.
LOL! I hear you - I know I wouldn't be able to just let them die either. I asked some of the ladies that I work with if they want some just to be courteous. I'm pretty sure at least one of them is going to kill what I give her. But, I don't really want to give any to anyone who doesn't want them. From my POV it's a real nice thing to do - give someone an heirloom that they wouldn't be able to buy from the nursery, not to mention one that was raised with TLC.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote