Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 21, 2012   #1
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

Default Ideas for water in the greenhouse?

Does anyone have a good set up for watering? My 8.5' x 18.5' greenhouse has gas heat and properly wired for electricity.... yet no water at all. Due to a sidewalk that would need to be passed, I want to set something up that might just allow for a garden hose to be connected outside of the greenhouse, and plumb the inside. That way it can be drained in the fall and the hose removed.

What I am looking for is some good ideas for inside the greenhouse itself. I am thinking about some coiled hoses from the ceiling, but I feel they would always be in the way. I could just add one simple faucet and a thing hose that would be easy to move with.

But what have you?

Oh... and just a photo or two! Right now, with all the trees in bloom, man does the greenhouse look stunning!

And here's a photo of the first 72 tomatoes that have made it to the greenhouse. I have at least 25+ still waiting to grow big enough to wear their big boy pots. I have a few too many!

Firefyter-emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #2
John3
Tomatovillian™

Have a look at this float system it might work with garden hose to the system for water with a filter or a rain barrel set up to feed the water.

Here's the system in a greenhouse
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

We have a coil hose with a watering wand that has a flex head and adjustable flow. I also put a set of misters up down the center.

Nice looking plants there!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I love your greenhouse and all it's surroundings. Beautiful!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

John3, I like it, lot's..

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I use one of those coiled hoses and it works very well. I have a utility tub in the greenhouse and the hose connects to the faucet. I hook one of the "loops" of the hose over the edge of the tub to anchor it so I'm not pulling at the faucet as I move around the greenhouse. I also strategically place a couple 5-gallon buckets full of water to use as hose guides to keep from wiping out the plants in the middle of the greenhouse. This way I can move all the way around my 15x24' greenhouse without hurting anybody.

Even though it takes up space which could otherwise hold a couple more tomato plants, I really enjoy having the sink in the greenhouse. It's great for washing veggies rather than taking them inside dirty or standing out in the yard with a hose. I also use it to wash my pots out. It just drains out onto the lawn (but of course placing a bucket under it would catch the water for re-use).

Your greenhouse is beautiful.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #7
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas.... I think Sherry is onto something here though! I am in die need to a proper potting bench, and I was planning to place this along the back wall. I had been looking for a small bar sink to mount in the potting bench, but I am loving the idea of one of those laundry tubs! I could leave the legs off, and build it into the potting bench itself, and just run a hose's from that.

My plan was to set the potting bench on that end wall, and build in some nice benches all along the sides. Under them can be raised bed gardens for some stuff like early lettuce and maybe beans.

While I am thinking of it, does anyone have some photos of their potting benches? I think the plan will have that sink as mentioned and a "back splash" with a shelf on the top and maybe some cubby holes and hanging hooks for tools. I do want a recessed dirt bucket with a wood lid that fits over it and would be flush with the bench top. I would like a large storage area under the bench for pots and stuff too. The benches along the side walls will connect into this to form a U shaped set up and the tops at the same height.

However, this is subject to change if I see something that I like!
Firefyter-emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #8
dice
Tomatovillian™

Google Images is a useful tool for something like this:
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc....0.zDHNFOFsLPg
Old April 25, 2012   #9
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Not having a greenhouse yet, I decided to have a sink anyway.
I'm building a simple frame of 2x4's, dropping in a double ss kitchen sink without a faucet,
and running a hose in with a sprayer on a quick-release connector. My potting bench is next to it.
I am also placing a 5-gallon bucket with some hose running to a part of the garden
that's downhill from the sink, attached to a soaker hose. 13º grade there.

You might need to do something fancier, or just use a bucket that you have to remember to empty.
We usually don't have to worry about mosquitoes here, but you might.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote