Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 4, 2012   #11
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Not to be nosy, but just reading through some older threads and saw you mentioning frustration with Black Cherry. Now, who knows if they are the right variety as this is a new pack of seeds and a new variety to me, but the BC I ordered from Pinetree came up like GANGBUSTERS in jiffy peat pellets, which were then root-rinsed and separated to individual cups. (I always separate for root stimulation.) I only covered my trays with lids (well, sorta cover; sometimes I set them on askew) when they had a little moisture left and only during the day when there was plenty of sunlight, to prevent fungal disease. Now I realize starting seeds is a little like cooking and we all do it a little different, but I am curious now if maybe BC particularly (peculiarly?) likes peat pellets. The little tray of potted up seedlings is so beautiful now, I'm almost more enamored with them than I am with my blossoming plants that are already in ground.

Now on topic, I haven't grown Brandy Boy in years, not since I found it in a Walmart seed rack 7 years ago or so. I noticed Burpee had free shipping the last few days, so I went to their site and picked some up. I am not sure what the point is in dehybridizing a hybrided heirloom, but as my mother always says, "you never know." Could some 'vigor' remain? I dunno. Sudduth has been plenty vigorous for me.