Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2012   #16
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

storymater, ilooked at KBX, tania has listed as late, others further south than me, less so. I think I gotta grow some this year.
Travis, thnx for the input. My garden gets septoria every yr. I rake out all plant matter to try to diminish, but if it is in the root system, it still has something to over winter on. Rethinking my strategy now, to expand the # of varieties I try to see what really works in my soil. No one answered this, is it true that potato leaf varieties are genrally less prone to disease?
I am coming to the conclusion, as many have said, that you really don't know til you try it. Also that there may be quite a variation due to seed source, you could get wrong seeds, or accidently crossed seeds, or some sources for many reasons could have experienced varying amounts of "genetic drift" (is that a legitimate term? if not I hereby christen it!) that produce something a little different than the original selection. For the future I will plan on always labeling plants including seed source and try to grow from several different seed sources, then saving seeds from the best outcomes.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote