Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 13, 2010   #16
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice b54red. Sounds crazy but maybe I should start then mid December? I have a caribbean small sweet pepper seed very similar in looks to habanero called ajicito dulce from 10 seeds sowed one plant survived that set one or 2 flowers and found the first pepper on the plant indoors. I am trying again in Dec. Another slow was Ancho pepper, only giving me one fruit towards the end of Sept so I will start those early. I don't have more peppadew seeds, I sure hope this plant makes it all the way to spring to collect seeds. The only peppers that did very well for me (started 12w bf) were Alma Paprika and Buran. But nevertheless I think peppers did amazing for me here this year comparing it to last year that was a total failure .
Old November 21, 2010   #17
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I applied horticultural oil spray on the new growth of the plants were I had prune the plants but this weekend as I was watering my plants noticed some aphids on the new growth! I quickly removed some affected leaves and washed the plants soapy water. Also covered the soil level with aluminum foil as I read somewhere it helps. I will quarantine the plants for a week if it doesn't gets better I have to move them to another location (basement) because I can't allow the aphids to stay in the room where I start my seedlings come January.
Old November 21, 2010   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If you need some Pappadew seeds just PM me and I'll try to get you some in time to start them. I had a bumper crop but didn't pickle any. My wife quit pickling things and I don't have the patience or know how to deal with pickling. I did however cook mine down in vinegar run them through a blender and strainer and season with salt, sugar, garlic, molasses, and a little Worcestershire sauce to make a fantastic hot sauce. I ended up with nearly a gallon and a half using only the reddest peppers.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I think they'll do well with light and no heat. I overwinter mine outside in Phoenix. If we have a frost or even freeze, I put a sheet or blanket over them. I've only ever lost any when it got down to 20 for three nights with wind chills in the teens. Even then, I was able to keep my largest jalapeño and two eggplants alive.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011   #20
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

They died, only one jalapeno survived. It's outdoors now.
Old May 30, 2011   #21
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Fatalli, bonsai's peppers, how does he keep his over the winter?
Old May 30, 2011   #22
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I brought 4 pepperdews in at the end of the season last year as too nice too chuck on the compost, I pruned them down like roses an put them on a north facing windowsill , room was comfortable temp. They did well, much better than I expected and are back out in the greenhouse again.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Bummer that you lost them! How did you like the sweet hab?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011   #24
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

The ajicito dulce is a staple food in Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. I like it because grew up eating them. It is used mainly as condiment to dishes like rice and soups. That one plant gave me few peppers and died because of aphids. I decided not to grow it again this year. I am growing Ancho, Alma Paprika, Buran, Jalapeno, Serrano, Hungarian sweet banana and some other seed sent to me by tomatovilians: Malagueta, Dolce di Minervino, Mareko Fana. I kept few plants indoors to attemp to overwinter them hopefully without getting aphids. The rest is being tranplanted in the soil now.

I like to learn how other overwinter the peppers, prunning is probably my best bet. I will try again
Old June 1, 2011   #25
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

I grow a couple dwarf varieties that easily overwinter inside without any pruning.

Baby Pequin and Baby Cayenne

~Dig
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #26
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

very nice!
Actually my survivor plant was the peppadew not the jalapeno and is again overwintering this year plus some other hot peppers "malagueta" thanks to b54red and one of dolce di minervino that even got ripe peppers indoors.
Old January 21, 2012   #27
RussB
Tomatovillian™

For those of us in the South, how small do you trim plants back that are left outside?

I have twelve various peppers that I left for the frost, but it never really hit us hard in the Houston area. Now, all 12 are starting to show life. I'm sure they should be cut back, but not sure if I need to go down to the stump, or just go halfway, etc.

I also have to repot--I have 6 crowded together in a single earthtainer (rookie mistake!), and only the garden salsa hybrid thrived (whereas the poblanos were stingy). With that in mind, should I cut back and repot now, and be ready with a blanket in case a heavy frost comes along?

Thanks!
RussB
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote