Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 8, 2011   #1
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Default bintje bins

I started my Bintje potatoes in bins. Last year I used fresh grass clippings for mulch and it turned to slime with heavy rains. Many of the vines rotted and those that didn't weren't covered while the grass was drying out. I'm going to use leaves this year.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #2
ljp
Tomatovillian™

My bins are full of mulch to the top. I used a combination of leaves and grass thatch. It shouldn't turn to slime like last year. So, the potatoes (late season) are in, well ahead of last year, and fully mulched. It should be a good test of the system.
Old June 28, 2011   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

No pics? Lot's funner w/pics!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

we like pictures yes!
Old June 29, 2011   #5
ljp
Tomatovillian™

After about four hours trying to transfer and edit pictures I decided I would post them later. I'm gone for a month, but, I do have pictures.
Old July 29, 2011   #6
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Default four weeks later

I was away for three weeks and it rained. Once again the mulch has compressed and is quite wet. The mulch is down about six inches from where I had it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potato bins.jpg (423.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg potato bins 2.jpg (360.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg potato bins 3.jpg (233.3 KB, 43 views)
Old July 29, 2011   #7
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Those potato boxes look very neat. How deep are they?
Old July 30, 2011   #8
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I used 2*6 to build the bins. I have a supply of 10ft undressed boards. The bins are 4 boards, 24" high. They are 3'*2'. The construction is reversed from some others. I made a frame for the top and bottom and fastened them to the corners. The other boards slide in and are held in place by the mulch. I don't have to screw them on as the potatoes grow. However, I can't sneak new potatoes.
Old October 17, 2011   #9
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Harvested:

I got somewhere around 30 pounds from a 10 pound planting. Many of the potatoes have scab of some sort, terry cloth texture. In one bin I have quite a bit of insect damage -- 1/4 inch holes in the potato, some hollowed out. I've seen wire worms; but, it looks like slug damage. All the potatoes were spread on the ground at the bottom of the bin.

Results:

modest yield
no potatoes above the bottom of the bin
mulch compressed to about 12 inches
three cubic feet of compost

I'll try again next year with a different variety of potato (suggestions?). I probably should do something to control the scab and insects. I'm not sure what will work.
Old October 19, 2011   #10
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Well ya gave it a good go ljp and you can only learn how to do it better next time.

Sorry no suggestions
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011   #11
salix
Tomatovillian™

ljp - for what it's worth, of about 20 different varieties I tried this year (some of Tom Wagner's being one plant only), the Bintje were the worst for scab and splitting/healing due to very wet cold season. Had very good luck with German and French fingerlings, Old Red, a Russet of some type and our favourite, Cariboo (unfortunately not commercially available). Maybe just try anything other than Bintje...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011   #12
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Have not tried Bintje so I can't tell but some other varieties like Salix suggests could be better choice for you. I tried Red Thumb this year and was early plus very tasty! Yukon Gold are very good and early too. Another I keep reading good things about is Kennebec soon will try one next year too.
Old October 20, 2011   #13
ljp
Tomatovillian™

July was cool and wet. Also, the mulch I used to fill the bins was wet for most of the summer. Would that contribute to the scab?

I have a friend that grows potatoes in 5 gallon pails sucessfully. All he knows about the potatoes is that they are red and he gets them from a friend that has grown them for years.