Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Surprise, surprise! Grub and Keith, check in....

Working from home is great (a telecommuting day) - doing seed saving between the inevitable array of teleconferences. So, what did I find today?

First, Keith, the Lucky Cross F1 you sent me. Plant got TSW pretty bad, but set some fruit so I let them ripen. Fruit are oblate smooth, 2-5 ounces - definitely ripened pink, but there is substantial green gel around the seeds. Fruit were badly scarred and I didn't dare taste it, but at least got a fair amount of F2 seed. Want some??

Next, Grub. Ripe fruit on both GMGs. Imagine my surprise when I ended up with this:

Reg leaf is on the left - oblate, ridged, bright yellow in and out. Potato leaf on the left - oblate, ridged, green fleshed, skin pretty much clear to ever so slightly yellow.

so what gives - anyone seen the yellow fruited RL before??

Unfortunately, both plants are dead - I have seeds from both, and there are a few more to come on the RL, but that is the sole PL, green fleshed example.

Next year I will go for it again, likely in a pot in the driveway!
Old July 26, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ha! I've found that TSW doesn't transmit thru seeds - saved seeds from a few fruit from a badly TSW infected Orange Heirloom in 2002, and it has been fine each year I've grown it out since then...one of the healthiest plants in my garden.

What are your fruit from the F1 looking like? What do you hope to find in the F2?
Old July 26, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Goodness.

Hi Craig,

Never heard of a yellow from either the RL or PL version of GMG! So you have a first there for sure. Seed cavities look the same to me. I would love to sow a few RL GMG (Y) seeds. Lol.

The PL looks the goods. Amber skin.

Sorry to hear about the season, as GMG has been a hardy plant for me in all its guises.

Clearly, looks like a cross. So far we have got : RL and PL green, PL small golf-ball red, RL big red, RL yellow... all very interesting. I wonder how the yellow tasted?

Thanks for the interesting update. Tomatoes sure work in mysterious ways.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #4
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Why am I thinking Brandywine all of a sudden, um Red, Pink, Black and Yellow. GMG , Green, Red and now Yellow
Grub, what have you created here
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Yeh, you are like sooo right Manto.

From a pack of (black) Paul Robeson we get PL and RL, green, red, yellow. But not a black! Yet.

Grub, bopping to Roxanne on Radio Paradise (thanks Craig for the link).
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2006   #6
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default NOW you tell me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman
Ha! I've found that TSW doesn't transmit thru seeds - saved seeds from a few fruit from a badly TSW infected Orange Heirloom in 2002, and it has been fine each year I've grown it out since then...one of the healthiest plants in my garden.

What are your fruit from the F1 looking like? What do you hope to find in the F2?
I have been sitting here not saving seeds on a couple of contenders for next year because of TSWV and you spring this on me?

Good info to know.

Listen, process, discard, learn.
DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

So meaning it can, but not necessarily, be. does fermentation lessen the possibility? Bleach treatment?
Old August 2, 2006   #8
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

I had TSWV on one of the segregates I grew for Mark Korney a couple seasons ago, and I read that it rarely passes on because the embryo is not affected (probably because of fermentation protection).

Nevertheless, I soaked the seed in a weak bleach solution for 10 minutes immediately after rinsing them from the fermentation. Since the seeds were already well hydrated, I figured there was less chance of the bleach soaking in to cause damage to the embryo.

He said that he had no TSWV transmit from those seeds.

PP