Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2006   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Ok folks I want to see what you all think.

If you have seen the pictures of the future tomato patch, (in the pictures forum) then continue on.
If not, ‘then if you wish, take a look and then come back here.

This soil is rock hard and full of rocks and on a rather steep slope, not what I would consider a prime garden spot.

What I have planed on doing is to rent a backhoe and terrace the sides of the hills and dig out so-called bowls then fill these with compost and sandy loam.
This would in effect make a raised bed that would hold the new soil.

I would then put in a drip system to feed each plant, ‘this would conserve water and cut way back on weeds.

I would then move all of the excess rocks and soil to another location to dam up the draw that runs through the area for a small water holding reservoir or build a great wall, I haven’t mad my mind up yet. LOL

I just think in the long run I would be better off doing this rather than haul rocks and beat myself up with a tiller; I think the rocks would win.
I also plan on making this a sort of park like area with other plants and who knows what else, its hard to describe what I have on my mind.
How deep should the bowls be, how wide, would it work?

Below is a rather child like drawing of said intentions, feel free to laugh all you want.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

are you talking about the area in the sixth pic down?
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Reign,

Yes and the rest of that area, it looks from back to front and front to back.
Its about ½ to ¾ of an acre, the big cedar tree is going to come down or at least a good trimming.
So yes the area that has all of the weeds and dry grass. Not the place with the bridge and all of the trees in the back yard that will get a water garden and more plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #4
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Hey Worth,
Looks good, that yard of yours, love the Elephant ears. I like the idea you're describing, it is similar to what we do (actually tell other people to do, we just sit around in an office) when faced with sloping sites. I am a big fan on having a hole that is about twice as wide as a 5 gallon bucket and 1.5 times as deep as a minimum. And, sionce you are going to have a backhoe, a little larger isn't gonna be a big deal.

I vote for a small dam and maybe a bluegill pond behind it.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote