Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2006   #1
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Default Two 9.9's

I think I'm getting close to that elusive 10! Last night both GMG - rl - both red and green were definate 9.9's, as was Green Giant.
It's been an exceptional year here. No rain, pastures and hay fields dry brown and cracking - but the tomatoes are just fantastic. Many 9.5's for flavor and zillions of just beautiful, perfect fruit.
With about 500 varieties and most in full production I'm thinking fully 3/4ths are producing just what they should and most are beautiful, perfect fruit! This may be the one season in a life time!
2006 - The Year of the Tomato! (at least here - and oddly enough NOT the year of the pepper.)
What are your tops this year?
Robbins
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

....and here in Raleigh, it has been year of the eggplant and pepper, tomatoes far behind in yield, quality and health!

GMG RL and PL each put out one fruit and the plants died. RL has very yellow skin (interior color yet TBD) - PL has pale green skin. They won't make it to TPalooza -= will sacrifice them for seed saviing this evening.

Best tomatoes thus far - Sungold (close to a 10 as usual) and Sleazy A (8.5 leaning toward 9).
Old July 26, 2006   #3
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

My plants are doing great with loads of fruit. But we've had a pretty wet summer here in Chicago and it has affected the tomato taste. They've been watery and less than flavorful. If I had to pick it'd be Silvery Fir Tree and Black Cherry for best flavor.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #4
robbins
Tomatovillian™

White van??????????? Critters??
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Things are just starting to ripen here, but we have had excellent taste from Giant Syrian, Polish and German Head. My all time favorites are still green. Hoping a little rain will fall and help the tomato crop.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Great news Robbins. Sounds like a few of those seeds will be worth saving for next year. I'm hoping to high heavens for a good season down here. Last year was a ripper. Fingers crossed. Cheers, Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #7
bully
Tomatovillian™

a ripper? I'm gonna assume that's good unless it's like Jack the ripper..then that would be less than good..probably a cricket of fishing expression...The pole jerks down violently towards the water off the back of the boat.."Captain, we got us a real ripper"

Robbins
I'm not far behind you on the GG and the GMG maybe a week or so.
I'll think of you and the cows tomorrow when I have my first Summer Cider, thanks again for the seeds..I'll think of the cows because we're having steak.

Steak and tomatoes.. is there anything better?
I love this time of year
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Bloody Oath

Can't wait to hear how GMG does for you Bully.

(Ripper – similar to "beauty". Something that is excellent. "What a ripper of a goal that was!" or "you little ripper". Possible etymology; from rippa - Japanese (???), Meaning splendid, fine or elegant. Possibly from Japanese pearl divers living in Australia during the late 19th Century.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

My new top " flavor scale rater " tomato ???
Black from Tula ...
Unbelievable ~

Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #10
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Tom, yes that is unbelievable - a real rippa! Now did it really look that good off the vine, or did you polish that baby up??
Old July 30, 2006   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

Rather than say which tomatoes get high marks from me, I'll just list the few that get the highest compliments from family, friends and coworkers:

Indian Stripe (in the past it was Cherokee Purple, but I don't have any this year and everyone just thinks the Indian Stripes are the same tomato)

Red Lee (whatever the tomato is that came out of the Djena Lee Indian Girl seeds but is red rather than yellow)

Sungold

Cherokee Green

Aunt Ruby's German Green

Lime Green Salad

Red Stripe (fruit from a single Indian Stripe plant but has solid red interior that looks just exactly like Indian Stripe/Cherokee Purple inside structure, and also has a solid red exterior color?)

Yasenichki Yabuchar (the comments mostly are regarding it's perfect shape, blemish free exterior, etc. rather than comments about its flavor)

Big Beef

Big Boy

Early Girl

... pretty much in that order at home, by MIL/FIL, sister-in-law, at work, and at cardiac rehab class.

Brandy Boy F3 is perceived as too tart or "sour." I seeded all the Goose Creeks and Ramapo F4s so far. And Brandywine, Earl's Faux, Yellow Brandywine, and Lucky Cross not yet ripe ... so there are ringers in the waiting room.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Kimpossible -

I know you're kidding !!!
But it sat on my table for 1 night !!!
Thats all I could stand !!!
~ LOL ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote