Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2006   #1
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Default Lucky Cross.....Cross?

I have been hesitant to post this until I was fairly sure, but I believe my regular leaf Lucky Cross has turned out to be a cross rather than just a regular leaf variant of Lucky Cross. As you can see in the pics below, the fruit is more of a roma shape and has firm flesh. The shoulders remain yellow until almost past ripe. Seed was saved from a LC fruit which was grown very close to a Juliet plant.

I know, I know…. Most people simply loath Juliet, but I am pretty excited to have a chance to stabilize another cross this year. Besides that, taste is quite good and I like the firm but juicy texture of the flesh.

So what do you guys think? Could this somehow be a variant of LC or is it more likely that the LC crossed with Juliet? Only seed saving and consequential grow outs will tell!

I think it was Feldon who just the other day encouraged us to embrace accidental crosses in an attempt to create new and interesting varieties.

Well, I seem to be workin on it bro!

I’ll be sure to offer seed for this and another Brandywine Sudduth cross I’m working on later in the year. (again accidental, but not from my garden 8) )

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2006   #2
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Default Anybody?

Here's a pic of fruit cluster on the vine:

Anyone think this is worth saving?

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2006   #3
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

It is deffinetly a very visually pretty tomato. If you like the taste yourself why not just grow it out. You can always tell yourself that you are just ahead of the times with your Tomato crosses ( sp ) and that the rest of us will catch up to you in a decade or so :wink:
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2006   #4
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Bigcheef, if they are good, go for it. I'm no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination but the lighter color near the top looks like a normal variation like what I get on some fruits from any variety. I didn't say that right but I've had numerous fruits from different red or pink types that have that discoloration at times. Maybe it's the picture and I'm not seeing it right.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote