Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default Same Tomato - 2 Different Names??

I am growing White Beauty & Beaute Blanche. Does anyone know if this is the same variety? It would be logical that it is, since it is a direct translation.

The foliage appears to be the same on both plants. It is too early to compare the tomatoes as they are still small & green.
Old July 26, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The proper name is Beaute Blanche du Canada and it was a variety received from Parreia ( sp) the Frenchman in 1992 and first listed in the SSE Yearbook in 1993 by GLen Drowns.

I don't know that much about White Beauty except that it was offered early on by Glecklers, now defunct, is listed in the USDA GRIN, is felt to be a pre-1960's variety.

The blurbs for both are about the same as to fruit size and shape.

So I don't know how the two are linked, if they are, since so many whites are medium sized, somewhat flattish and that includes White Queen and Sutton and many others. And all were commercial intorductions either here in the US and Sutton in England.

You might wish to check Ventmarin, aka Passion TOmatoes, the French site, to see what he has to say. If you don't have the link I can get it to you here. I think someone else just did so, but that may have been at GW.

I have to minimize AOL and switch to IE to get here to Tville, so it takes more personal energy to jump thru the hoops rather than my having my faves here, rather than there.
Old July 26, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the knowledge, Carolyn. I don't have Ventmarin's link, so would appreciate it.

I am finding the foliage (RL) "cut" or definition seems to be identical. The plants were started at the same time & transplanted out at the same time. The only difference is that White Beauty seems to be a monster ... Beaute Blanche is vigorous, but smaller - 8 to 10 inches in height ( - difference, that is!)