Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default 3 Ring Tomato Cages Falling Like a House of Cards!

As a side note to the VERY BAD 3 ring tomato cages - I have used the large ones this year ... I didn't have time to make the CRW's ... and anticipated that I would drive a stake near the edge of each cage for support, and then drive 8' rebar or T-stakes, two at the ends of each row, & wire them all together & add binder twine from stake to stake lengthwise along the row to add another couple of feet of "cage".

Well, today we got some sudden severe weather - over the course of three hours we received 2 1/2" of rain, high winds, tornado warnings etc.

I haven't added the extra stakes & wires yet, and my tomatoes & "bad cages" got blown over in a domino effect! I had about 20 plants lying sideways ... they've been rescued & temporarily staked, & DH & I immediately took a trip to home depot for all the necessary supplies to make those Gosh Darnnoodley "cages" work!

I know what I'll be doing this winter - kicking hubby & his racecars into the quonset hut, taking over the shop, and making my award-winning prototype tomato cages that will be making me rich! :wink:
Old July 25, 2006   #2
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I do think there would be a market for decent tomato cages if they were easier to find, say in the stores for example. A lot of us are just too darn lazy to make our own, but wish for something better. We, (DH & I), usually rig something with the lousy cages, stakes, chicken wire, twine, fence posts, etc. String it all together to make it stronger and tie it off onto the deck. It works for the most part, but is far from ideal. We are masters of half-assed engineering!
Old July 25, 2006   #3
username5
Tomatovillian™

Like many, I too played with store bought cages and posts and twine and various combinations thereof.

For reasons I don't really understand I resisted a really simple method of supporting them until this year.

Now I simply don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

The method is simple and easy.

Drive 8' tposts in the ground 4-6 feet apart.

From this suspend nylon trellis netting such as can be found at numerous nurseries as well as online at Burpee and elsewhere. To attach the netting to the posts I use plastic cable ties although a roll of flexible metal wire would work well too.

Next plant the tomatos. As they grow wind the stems into the netting once a week or so. That's it.

Seriously. That's it.

The netting is deceptively strong. It holds up far better than the steel cages with their weak welding. The t posts don't blow over in the wind. The plants don't grow into an impenetrable mess.

Both the posts and netting can be left outside during the winter with no significant degredation.

Cages are passe. Break the habit today!
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #4
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

This winter would be a good time to make some of my PVC
cages.

I use 3/4 inch schedule 40 PVC and drive them a foot into
the ground. They won't fall over. They've stood up to a tropical
storm in Florida.

Here's a link to pictures and a write up about them.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/tom_pvc/

Click on the little pictures for big ones.

BTW - those cages are designed by the guy who invented Slinky.
Old July 26, 2006   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

username5,

You can get a smaller roll of the nylon trellis netting - 5 ft. tall by 30 ft. long for $10.00 + $3.00 S&H here: http://www.heirloomseeds.com/supplies.htm
Old July 26, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I had not such good luck with the nylon netting, ended up having to rig it with the basic materials of twine, cane, rebar and branches from the mulberry. My sister used some kind of wire mech fence panels, and concrete reinforcing panels (4X4/4X4) that worked well for both toms and beans.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote