Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2006   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Amish Gold - Is it a hybrid or OP?

I recently got to try Amish Gold at a Tomato Tasting. It was a very good, very sweet tomato. I was just wondering if it is a hybrid or is it OP? Someone at the tasting said it was hybrid, but I've seen it listed as OP on some sites. Are there 2 versions, like SunGold and Sungold Select?
Old July 25, 2006   #2
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a hybrid cross of sungold and amish paste, available from tomatofest. I 'm growing it this year. It has been a stand out for me in the past.
Old July 25, 2006   #3
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I'm the one that brought the amish gold and Little _rhody your right I did get the seeds from Tomato fest. and yes it is a cross of amish paste and sungold. So I'm assuming it is a hybrid. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #4
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I just looked over at Tomatofest....

According to Gary, it IS a cross between Sungold and Amish Paste.. HOWEVER, it also states in the blurb that it is an HEIRLOOM.

Now, I find it hard to swallow that it is an heirloom, but I can interpret that to mean that it is OP.. then again, that's just me. Perhaps it's a mistake?

Now, I don't know Gary, so I can't say how meticulous he is..

- Eric
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #5
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

I've grown amish gold before and really liked it. I saved seeds and I remember that I had two slightly different versions in my garden, one very meaty and another very juicy with more seeds, both delicious. I didn't grow out my own seeds this year, but I'm making a mental note to do it next year.
Old July 25, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When someone gives parentages for a particular variety, such as I have for Speckled Roman and many others, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are hybrids.

it means that that was the original directed cross, not accidental,and the F1 fruits were used to produce seeds, the F2 seeds and then it was dehybridized to see what the offspring will be. And then selections made for further dehybridization to the OP state.

I didn't check but wasn't Amish Gold done by Jeff Dawson and so stated at Tomatofest?

As far as I know Gary offers no F1 hybrid varieties at his website, same policy as Sandhill, Mariseeds, Baker Creek and some others; OP's only.

Just take a look in the Reseach Forum here re the dwarf project and you'll see the directed crosses that Patrina made and the F1 seed has been distributed to participants and the next step is to get the seeds from the F1 fruits, now the F2 seeds, and sow them and see what comes out of the F2 plantings. But the goal is to get some new interesting dwarf OP's.

OTOH, when I say the two parents of Big Boy are __________________ and Teddy Jones it means that those two were crossed to produce the F1 seed that is sold as Big Boy.

Many of the earlier hybrids had but two parents, such as Big Boy, Better Boy, Ramapo and others. More modern hybrids can have up to four parental inputs in each of the two breeding lines.

Tad Smith, a friend of Craig's and mine made some F1 seeds from two OP's and sent them to us. Craig is younger than I am and has a superb memory and will remember the one I'm talking about. Oh how I treasured those F1 seeds and nada was to be done when they were gone.

And you've seen all the recent so called hybrid heirlooms that have been produced such as Brandy Boy, Buck's COunty Red, Glory and others. But please, lets' not discuss them b'c I break out in a rash and yell at the top of my lungs whenever I see them being discussed. LOL
Old July 25, 2006   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Where should I post pictures of my Brandy Boy F3s now that I have a few ripening up and beggin' for a photo op? Should I post a warning in the topic title? "Warning: Carolyn, the photos you are about to view may cause rashes and laryngitis

Anyway, I tried to cross Sungold to Amish Paste this summer. I tried to cross Big Beef to Amish Paste too. Both times failed as the Amish Paste stigma are so tiny, thin, and brittle and I'm so impatient, fat fingered, and brutal

I'm glad to hear about this Amish Gold ... sounds really interesting whether F1 or stable OP.

Little Rhody ... you're a source of some interesting post hybrid stuff, lady. I'm now trying to cross your big pink cherry that didn't turn out multiflora with some larger fruited pink varieties since the cherry has the smoothest, clearest, blemish-free skin imaginable ... is that why they call the originals "Quartz?"

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #8
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

PV,

I think they called it quartz because there appears to be "sparkles" in the skin in the sunlight. I'm not kidding.

I would love to see RQM crossed with black cherry. I've never tried crossing, maybe a project for my retirement years! By the way I'm growing golden grape (from SSE) and it is just as huge and multiflora as RQM.