Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2006   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Djena Lee Red ?

"Djena Lee's Golden Girl - A wonderful yellow variety developed by the Indian Girl Djena Lee. This was prominent along the routes of the Baltimore and Ohio as well as the Southern Railroads. Great fruity tasting tomatoes are borne in profusion." (Description written by Chuck Wyatt at http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/Varieties.htm)

I'm not complaining. The plant beat the heat and the floods. And the tomato tastes really nice. But has anyone else grown Djena Lee and gotten red fruit? Both my plants seem to be this way.

I intend to try again from saved seeds since this tomato tasted so good.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nope - you have an imposter (but obviously a nice looking good tasting one!). could be a cross, could be a mix up. My one attempt at DJ's GG produced a really nice tasting, nice looking golden orange tomato.
Old July 24, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I grew it way back when, and it was introduced by Southern Exposure Seed Exchange from whence Chuck got his stuff for his blurb. Last I knew the same blurb was at SESE.

It was good, but in the meantime I've grown others of that color that I like even better.

PV, I've commented before that some folks are not getting pure seed for some varieties from Chuck's old site, which is to me, at least, understandable given his poor health the last few years before he passed on. So I'd consider it to be crossed seed. YOu might wish to let Donna know that there's a problem b/c she prefers to be contacted directly by the person who has the problem, which is what I've also been telling other folks who have come up with a problem variety.
Old July 24, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Unusual.

Not unusual IMHO. Everything I get from there is some kind of great tasting red tomato. Lol.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote