Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 18, 2011   #106
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

YEAH RAY, I just finished making 3 of the earthtainer III's, Now just to get my plants in them. I ended up with about 1500 tomato plants to sell this year, and with having shoulder surgery in Jan. it was just about more than I could handle. I ended up donating about 400 plants to the local food bank farm, so at least they did not just end up in the compost pile.
Now I just have to get the rest of my tomato plants planted. I still have about 30 plants to plant, and now I gotta figure out where i am gonna put them, but now at least 6 are gonna fit in my new earthboxes. Although I am retrofitting RCW for the cages, just because that is what I have to work with. I will take pictures and let you know how it turns out.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #107
linuxman51
Tomatovillian™

I built two of these last week to isolate my hot peppers from the rest of my peppers. They've been quite the curiosity between friends and family.

I haven't attached cages to them yet, but will probably do that next weekend

(lowe's didn't have color matching lids...)
2003 Evo VIII, ams 35r, cams, etc. 440awhp, fun DD 11.6@123mph
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #108
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!! I really like the 'two-tone" effect.

Remember to top water occasionally until the root system takes hold.

Keep us posted with photos as the Season progresses.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #109
linuxman51
Tomatovillian™

the other hot peppers got beat up in a drive-by aphid and lacebug beatdown, so they're on the mend, but the rest of them seem to be doing pretty good:
Jalapenos

It took them up to a few days ago to really get situated to where I didn't have to water them from the top.

the other hot peppers (infestation more or less handled, now it's just recovery and waiting)
2003 Evo VIII, ams 35r, cams, etc. 440awhp, fun DD 11.6@123mph
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011   #110
techsmith
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I'm going to be working on building my earthtainer's this year. Last year I did 5 gallon buckets. What do you think about using this cage for the earthtainer.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_47230_-1______54730|86719|47230?navSource=giftStore&giftS toreLevel=&identifier=Garden-Stakes-&categoryId=86719&categoryIdAncestor=54730&listing Page=true&Special=false
techsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011   #111
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

tech,

I would be concerned that it is only 12 inches wide and 42 inches high. Also, it is a single rib fabrication so I think it might have more of a tendency to twist and collapse under weight. I can't figure out how you would rigidly attach them to the EarthTainer shell. At a minimum, you would need to lash 2 of them together side-by-side, then another 2 on top of this pair for the cage extension. This would take 4 units at $4.00 each and you would end up with a smaller 24" by 12" cage to restrict the 2 tomato plants within.

Frankly, for $17.00 delivered from Gurneys, you get the right size (28" by 14"), of both the base cage and extension cage - all you need are the 8 wire rope clips to tie both together. You would need twice as many clips to tie the 4 Tractor Supply cages together, and it still would not fit the EarthTainer properly. Am I missing something??

Raybo
Old May 3, 2011   #112
techsmith
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Your not missing anything. I'll be ordering 2 from Gurneys tonight. Thanks

Tony
techsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011   #113
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Tony,

You know the "drill" to get the $25.00 off a $50.00 order - right?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1000324/

If not, before you order the Gurney's cages, PM me and I can walk you through the process.

Raybo
Old May 4, 2011   #114
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Can you walk us through your recommended procedure for how to use Clearex with an Earthtainer? And how often would you recommend applying it?

Thanks,

Edward
espiegel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #115
jardinero
Tomatovillian™

Default grow mix challenges

I live in northeast PA near Scranton. I went to Lowe's and bought all the stuff for 3 Earthtainers plus some necessary tools that I did not have. Before I start working, I want to be sure I can either purchase or make my own grow mix. I searched the websites for the two recommended brands and from what I can gather, I am out of luck being in PA. Has anyone on or near the east coast found a good source more commonly available? I see Miracle Grow, but have never seen it without the moisture control feature. So I am getting a little worried, and would welcome any advice. Gracias, El Jardinero
jardinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #116
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Edward,

I am 2400 miles away from my bottle of Clearex at the moment, but as I recall last Season I diluted it to half the recommended strength for a soil drench and poured about one pint per plant. I did this at 6 week intervals.

El,

I am surprised that you can't get Pro-Mix BX in PA, as I thought these folks concentrated east of the Mississippi. In any event, if you can only find the less expensive Potting Mixes, I would add another half scoop of Perlite, as these Mixes don't contain as much Perlite as Pro-Mix or Sunshine Mix #4. Something like 3:2:1.5

Raybo
Old May 6, 2011   #117
jardinero
Tomatovillian™

Default premier pro-mix

Raybo,
Thanks for your reply. I focused in on the Premier website and now have a lot more info. What do you pay for pro mix retail in CA? Thanks, J.
Old May 6, 2011   #118
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The Pro-Mix BX runs $37.00 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale. The (better) Sunshine Mix #4 is selling for $28.00 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale at South Bay Hydroponics.

If you haven't already called your local Hydro Store, I would check their pricing on both.

Raybo
Old May 7, 2011   #119
jardinero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
The Pro-Mix BX runs $37.00 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale. The (better) Sunshine Mix #4 is selling for $28.00 for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale at South Bay Hydroponics.

If you haven't already called your local Hydro Store, I would check their pricing on both.

Raybo
local hydro store in rural PA? That is a good one. Cannabis is still a felony, we are lucky to have Walmart. I did find Promix a little over $30 per bale only 130 mi. away, not bad all considered. Now all I need is a water source and I am ready to build. Like cooking, you want to be sure you have all the ingredients BEFORE you start cooking.
Old May 9, 2011   #120
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Check www.cpsagu.com and see if they have any locations near you. This is where I buy my sunshine mix from. pretty good prices.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote