Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 24, 2011   #1
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

Default Jelly Mellon

Has anyone grown the Jelly Mellon aka African Horned Cucumber?

I read about it in Seed to Seed and have been looking for an easy-to-grow fruit this year. I'm thinking this might be a good choice. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

What really caught my eye was that it can be stored up to 6 months at room temperature, which means with a decent season I could be eating these things up to March.

I'm really considering purchasing some seed from the Seed Savers Exchange, so if anyone has some input I'd really appreciate it!

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2011   #2
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

It likes warm conditions and rich soil, unripe fruit can be used like a cucumber but I like to cook mine a bit as it brings out a very subtle lime flavor. These things tend to start off very slow, then take off like a BOH! weare a good pair of leather gloves when harvesting as the spines are very sharp! I roll mine on the cement to knock of the spine tips.
grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote