Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 9, 2011   #16
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
I think the main problem with growing your own culture from one of these commercial products is that what goes in probably isn't going to be the same as what comes out. Some of the bacteria and fungi may grow slower or faster, some may not grow at all or be wiped out growing in a jug of water. In a lab, each is grown separately, in sterile conditions that are designed for that species, then they are combined dry. My guess would be the trichodermas at least, being molds, would not like an aerated liquid to grow in.
Not sure where the protozoa are coming from unless you have contamination somewhere. Some random searching found mention of using a pressure cooker for 45 minutes to sterilize growing medium for a trichoderma culture.
I have stated that its not a replacement for the original product. I do use the product normally first then with the last part of whats in the container I use to make the tea. I agree out side of a lab setting you are not going to have 100% sterility. Our growing areas for our plants are not sterile either. Yes you are possibly going to lose some types of microbes and others are going to reproduce at various rates.

"Trichoderma use in aeroponic and hydroponic systems can eventually form a fibrous mat that can block pipes and nozzles used to irrigate the plants. Removal of this material is a time consuming process, which involves temporarily dismantling the irrigation system pipes and spaghetti tubing. In warmer weather this needs to be done frequently."

They require oxygen and water so yes they will grow in a jug of water with O2 and nutrients as noted above in hydroponics use.

Protozoa are every where so that is where they come into the equation. Trichoderma are anti-fungal to other types that is why you can not use it on mushrooms.

Really this and brewing compost tea are no different.

Lastly if its not for you do not try it. So far my plants look awesome I have 2 week 6 days seedlings (that is from time seed was planted) that are starting to form their second set of true leaves some are third leafs already so as for me I believe. Do I contribute some of that success to the original products used as directed well yes I do.