Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 30, 2011   #1
mohoghead
Tomatovillian™

Default organic grape production

Read an interesting article today on organic bordeux vineyards in France, it's on the 45th parallel north, not much on how their accomplishing this or what vinyard practices their following. has anyone else heard of this and how their doing it?
mohoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #2
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

I would be very interested in reading that article, could you point me in the direction of where you found it? Do you grow wine grapes?

We have a few Cabernet Sauvignon and French columbard vines that we grow organically and some years it can be a real challenge to keep the mildew from ruining the crop, with the Carbernet particularly prone to it. Last year we sprayed the leaves and immature fruit with actinovate as a preventative and we didn't have any mildew problems at all.

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #3
mohoghead
Tomatovillian™

thank you for the heads up on actinovate which lead me to a forum on GW compareing it agaisn't two other organic fungicides,
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...797e0848a58ff5

here's the link to the news article:

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/52446?tid=14
Old February 2, 2011   #4
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Just for your info, Excel LG is NOT organic. It is for ornimentals, turf grasses, and NON BEARING fruit/nut trees. The only place on the label where the word "organic" appears is in the company name. There is no OMRI cert. For trees and grapes, the label specifically states "Non bearing".
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #5
mohoghead
Tomatovillian™

I just found the link to the comparisons,have not researched each product except serenade, so thank you for the heads up.
Old February 3, 2011   #6
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link, I am interested in researching this further, and I love that one of the growers/vintners quoted is named Xavier Planty! I wonder if he'll adopt me?

I have yet to try Excel LG, although I've considered it, I just haven't had the time to research it fully.

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote