Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 30, 2010   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Optimizing container production

After yet another terrible year for tomatoes in the garden due to late blight+septoria, I decided to try growing a few tomatoes on the balcony in containers. There's no rain there so hopefully no foliage problems (welcome, aphids), it's warmer and, well, closer.
I read about what to use in the pots, and probably will have to try things till I get it right, but I'd like to know what sort of tomatoes to use to maximize production I can get from a given container.
I have space for about three 5 gallon containers. After much research I decided to try new big dwarf, but not sure how productive it is. It doesn't have to be the best tomatoes, but somewhere in the upper class, and most of all productive. Would a normal det/indet be better? Or maybe some other dwarf?
Please recommend some varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Take a look at my thread in undercover gardening entitled: 2010 Greenhouse varieties.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15853

NBD is a great variety. For a gold, gold nugget is good, so is Utynok. Lime green salad is good for a green. Al-Kuffa is real good. Glacier and Kimberly are very good.

Other than wet, what are your growing conditions as in temperatures?

Take a look at the thread and get back to us.
Old December 1, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

zip, PM me your address and I will send you some varieties that should satisfy your needs.
By the way, welcome to TVille. Ami
Old December 1, 2010   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys!

The growing temperature will be fine. Problem here are that springs are cold, so things start slow in the garden, but on the balcony there's 2-3 C more. Also there should be no first frosts there in the autumn, so season could be extended by at least 1 month. During summer 18-33 C temperatures.
I'm quite impressed by utyonok pics I've seen so far. So about what quantity of tomatoes do you guys expect from a 5 gal container? I've seen threads about 5+ kg (10+ lbs) but that seems rather optimistic.

ami, I was planning to ask someone in germany to ask a certain Manfred Hahm for some seeds, including some varieties to try in the garden (a lot of work for nothing but I can't help it). But I might just take your offer instead .
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2010   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

zip, ordered and grown several varieties from Manfred Hahm. Check out some of my threads in the Photo Gallery Forum from this year and last year and you can see how I grow my tomatoes in containers. We have quite a mix of European members from France, England, Belarus, Italy, Finland, Denmark, Bahrain, Belgium and of course Germany. Ami
Old December 1, 2010   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Zip

If you pm me your mailing address, I will send Utynok to you. Andrey, who is from Belarus, is a member and has sent us folks here a lot of varieties, including Utynok. You should search for posts from him, some of them contain his excel seed list.