Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 26, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Okra progress

Despite the horrible drought we are in the okra plants are doing really well. 8 Clemson Spineless plants that are at about 6 ft tall now. Harvested 260 pods so far with many more on their way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg okra072609.JPG (221.6 KB, 61 views)
Old July 27, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

wow, that must be a record.
I'm not getting near that good of production with my okra.
are you freezing or canning the excess, I know you can't eat that much fried okra.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Stewart's Zeebest this year and it's not doing as well as White Velvet did last year, though it's growing in the same spot. I seem to get a lot of pods that just dry up and fall off. I've never had that happen with the other varieties I've grown. I think it'll be Cow Horn next year. My favorite way to eat okra is with stewed tomatoes or in a soup. I have managed to freeze a little of it for soup this coming winter. I am jealous of your okra, duajones.
Old July 27, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have frozen some breaded and unbreaded. I am also eating it fresh in soups, sautes etc,. as well a fried. Clemson Spineless averaged 125 pods per plant in 2007 and I dont see any reason for it to be any less this year as long as I keep it watered. I will be swimming in okra before long but plan to give plenty away to friends also
Old August 11, 2009   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

600 pods as of this afternoon, pulling more than 20 per day the past week or so. Starting to get a little tired of it but like always will miss it when they are gone.
Old August 12, 2009   #6
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Mighty impressive! What do you fertilize with?
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I added some cow manure to the bed prior to planting and have fertilized with plant tone and fish emulsion. Giving the plants a little water every morning.
Old June 17, 2010   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd revive this thread from last summer. What are you growing this year? Picked my first batch yesterday and had stewed tomatoes with okra over brown rice for lunch. I am trying Emerald this year and so far I'm really surprised at how short these plants are! By this time of year, any other variety I've grown was at least as tall as me. These guys are short! The pods are good though, nice and smooth with no spines. I know several of you have grown this variety. Are they supposed to be around three feet or do they get bigger?
Old June 17, 2010   #9
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I received seeds of Red Velvet last year at a swap so Im trying those. Ive got a newly de-nuded from ivy bed, and they have been slow to start. Im finally seeing 2 up (may try to reseed once again!) so mine are tiny still.

Ive got to clean the bunny leavings in the morning so Ill top dress what Ive got so far!

Sounds good Michele!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2010   #10
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmoth View Post
I received seeds of Red Velvet last year at a swap so Im trying those. Ive got a newly de-nuded from ivy bed, and they have been slow to start. Im finally seeing 2 up (may try to reseed once again!) so mine are tiny still.

Ive got to clean the bunny leavings in the morning so Ill top dress what Ive got so far!

Sounds good Michele!
I grew Red Velvet last year and really loved it. The color is interesting, but what I really loved is that the long pods stayed very soft and tender, even if you let them grow pretty large before picking.

I also grew Clemson Spineless as my workhorse that summer for their excellent production (tho red velvet wasn't shabby at all!)

This year I am growing the same, but adding a heirloom from Southern Exposure seeds- the Hill Country heirloom okra. I figured since I am growing in the Texas Hill Country, I should try it! It is green with red speckles- that's all I really know about it so far. I started the okra late so they are pretty small now.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2010   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Beck's and Cowhorn. Which means I don't have to pick nearly as often to get the same volume of okra. The Becks is by far the easiest for frying because it is so big around. The Cowhorn is great for chopping up in tomatoes or gumbo.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote