Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 30, 2009   #1
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato Patch for 2010

I'm very happy how the potatoes have done so far this year in my garden, especially given the non-stop rain we had in June. Now that things are a bit more sunny, I'm hoping we'll be lucky enough to escape any problems with late blight.

My plans are to increase the size of the potato patch a bit next year and I've been giving some thought to which varieties to grow. It looks like it's going to be the following ten:
  • John Tom Kaighin - 65 ft
  • Skagit Valley Gold - 65 ft
  • Charlotte - 120 ft
  • Peter Wilcox - 250 ft
  • Adirondack Red - 250 ft
  • Adirondack Blue - 250 ft
  • Yellow Finn - 250 ft
  • German Butterball - 250 ft
  • Amey Russet - 500 ft
  • Makah Ozette - 500 ft
These 2,500 row feet of potatoes will be over three times the amount we've got planted this year (750 row feet.) They'll also be taking up the maximum amount of space we'll be able to devote to potatoes from here out.

I'm excited that we'll be adding a few of Tom Wagner's potatoes. I think they'll be well received at the farmers market in Rockland, Maine and a welcome addition to the potato varieties being offered out this way.

John

Last edited by Lamb Abbey Orchards; August 13, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Lamb Abbey Orchards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2009   #2
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

John,

You might want to consider Lindzer Delikatesse for next season. It is an early fingerling type that produces quite a few spuds. I was pleasantly surprised with it this year. Seed came from Eagle Creek in Alberta Canada.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2009   #3
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Alex:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I Googled to learn more about that potato and discovered that the true spelling is Linzer Delikatess. I'd like to try it given that it's an early-ripening fingerling (considering the Ozette is so late) but I don't believe there are any US suppliers of seed. Unfortunately, Eagle Creek does not ship to the US.

If you should read about any sources in the US, do let me know!

John

Last edited by Lamb Abbey Orchards; July 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old August 2, 2009   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

John,

I can send you a few tubers from those that I save for next year. Send me an PM if you are interested.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2009   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

John,

Amey Russet will bulk some nice sizes well before it is mature. The vines will naturally show some senescence early on, so don't worry about the medium late maturity. The main thing you want in Ameys is to get good skin set on the russeting since it can be an outstanding keeper.

The following info is from a Florida test a few years ago. I highlighted the maturity since most other potato varieties were mature, yellowing, or vines dead at the same time frame. The potato variety probably needs maybe one, two, or even three weeks longer to mature than most other varieties. It is not much different than Purple Peruvian in maturity.
Quote:
Ozette (Cornell). Ozette total and marketable tuber yields were 139 and 132 cwt/acre, respectively. Potato tuber skin color was tan to buff with a slightly netted to moderately smooth texture. Tuber flesh color was cream to light yellow. Tuber shape was rated as ‘oblong’ to ‘oblong to long’. Average tuber length was 1.5 to 2 inches with a diameter of 1.5 to 2 inches. Tubers were barrel shaped. Eye depth was rated as deep to intermediate. Overall external tuber appearance was noted as fair to good. Early plant vigor (size) was rated as 2 to 4 inches. Vine type at full flower was rated as spreading to upright with a good canopy. Plant maturity at harvest was rated as starting to mature to moderately mature. Average specific gravity for Ozette tubers was 1.070.
I have noted that the yields of Ozettes to be similar to the Florida study; that is the yields are often half or even one third of other varieties. Since the vines stay greener than other varieties at 90 to 110 days, a bit more irrigation may be in order to get maximum yields at that time, but then, again, that just prolongs the maturity issues.

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009   #6
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
I have noted that the yields of Ozettes to be similar to the Florida study; that is the yields are often half or even one third of other varieties. Since the vines stay greener than other varieties at 90 to 110 days, a bit more irrigation may be in order to get maximum yields at that time, but then, again, that just prolongs the maturity issues.
Tom:

Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm curious about the low yields with Ozette in the Florida study, as well as your own personal experience with this potato. You mention that "yields are often half or even one third of other varieties." I pulled out an old Fedco catalog from when they used to carry Ozette, and here's how they described it:

It sounds like Ozette may be more conducive to the climate up in Maine. Otherwise I can't make much sense as to why there would be such a disparity regarding the kinds of yields this potato produces.

Any thoughts?

John

Last edited by Lamb Abbey Orchards; August 3, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old August 7, 2009   #7
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

Lamb i hope you have a really big Family. becauces thats going to be a lot of Taters next year? Paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #8
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

Lamb where are you going to get the Skagit Valley Gold From?? Paul
Old August 8, 2009   #9
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Lamb where are you going to get the Skagit Valley Gold From?? Paul
Lamb and I had talked over the phone about the availability of Skagit Valley Gold.

So provided I get the anticipated variety dug and stored, he should be able to trial about 10 lbs from my stock. Same with the variety I named JOHN TOM KAIGHIN, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite potatoes.

"JOHN TOM KAIGHIN" is named for my grandfather's older brother, one of the last Manxmen to speak the native tongue of Manx Gaelic. He can be heard telling a joke about the Parson and the Pig in Manx on the Internet. Google it!

JTK, as I call it for short, is a cross of Lump O'Gold and Tom Kaighin. Lump O'Gold is a cross between Lumpers and Tollocan. Tom Kaighin is a cross between Tom Boy and A81286-1. JTK is a yellow fleshed potato that has some late blight res. and has a super flavor. The pollen quality is so good it is going to be in many future varieties of all colors.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #10
Lamb Abbey Orchards
Tomatovillian™

Tom:

I can't wait to try the Amey Russet, Skagit Valley Gold and John Tom Kaighin too. For me, it's all about flavor---not size, uniformity and shelf appeal.

I found the Manx Gaelic file of your grandfather's older brother. What an unusual language. It's good they provided a transliteration of what he said, because I couldn't even wrap my brain around any of those sounds.

John
Old August 9, 2009   #11
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

Lamb Most Taters Growed here in florida are Early Types to Mid Early Types. the Ground Temps Start Climbing really High Starting in May . Paul