Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 8, 2009   #1
seanomac76
Tomatovillian™

Default Insects covering my tomatoes & curling leaves!

This is my first attempt at growing tomatoes in containers. I have a Sun Gold, 2 Eary Girls, and 2 Better Boys. A couple of weeks ago I spotted several small black bugs with long clear wings. I assume they laid eggs because now I have these small clusters of black dots under the leaves. Today I noticed small green bugs (I assume aphids) and also small bright white bugs with wings (whiteflies?).

I didn't want to use chemicals, so I made a mixture of water and liquid dish soap. I also added some sesame oil since that was listed as an active ingredient on a container I saw at the store. So far it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Many of the leaves on two of my plants have leaves that droop and curl in. This seems to have happened recently. Could this be over or under watering or from the bugs?

Any suggestions to get rid of these insects and get the plants looking healthy again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3042.jpg (200.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3045.jpg (131.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3047.jpg (196.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3041.jpg (243.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by seanomac76; June 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
seanomac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Whiteflies and aphids.

A little soapy water in a spray bottle will take care of that, or even just a blast from a hose. Just do it early in the day if you can before it gets hot.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #3
seanomac76
Tomatovillian™

Thanks feldon. Maybe I went too light on the soap in the water. I was afraid it might damage the plant, so I didn't add much to the water.

Do you think the insects are the cause of the curling leaves also or do I have another problem? A few leaves also have brown spots. I attached a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3046.JPG (287.6 KB, 30 views)
Old June 9, 2009   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Aphids and whiteflies suck sap from the tomato leaves and can cause leaf curl and those dead spots.

Get yourself a bottle of insecticidal soap concentrate (more economical than the ready-to-use spray bottle) and spray the leaves, making sure that you saturate the underside of the leaves, (where most of the aphids reside) as well as the top of them.

This material works several ways. First, it prevents whiteflies from flying so they are not able to migrate to neighboring plants. Secondly, it stops both aphids and whitefiles from laying more eggs. Thirdly, it will suffocate them.

Tomato plants are tough and I'm sure that yours will bounce right back after the insects are under control.

Edited to add: You can make your own soap spray mixture by using 1 tablespoon of biodegradable hand dish washing liquid ( NOT automatic dishwasher DETERGENT) in 1 gallon of water. It's just as effective as the store bought stuff.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Once you get them cleaned off....and under control using the above suggestions, here's a suggestion that I've used for years. I plant marigolds in the containers. They give off a smell that repels the aphids. I can almost guarantee that I'll have aphids on the plants in containers where I've not put the marigolds....and almost none in the ones with them.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #6
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Thanks Zana,

I have several dozen marigolds ready to transplant this weekend, as soon as the wife and kids have left for the beach...
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #7
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
Hey, Thanks Zana,

I have several dozen marigolds ready to transplant this weekend, as soon as the wife and kids have left for the beach...
You're quite welcome. I'm no expert, like many others here. But I know what's worked for me. I plant them around the base of all my roses too. LOL....one year I "carpetted" the ground in the rose garden with marigolds. When they filled out, you couldn't see the ground except for the paths for pruning/maintenance.

Best dang roses I had for years....unfortunately I wasn't allowed to start enough marigolds from seed to do that this year. Although I save seed every year. Its rare that I have to buy seed....let alone plants. But your's truly was out buying multiple flats of marigolds for the flower beds this year because she didn't get to start them. I got a deal on the 20 flats I've gone through so far. But it burns my butt that I have to pay for them. Sighhhh....sorry to vent on your thread.

Good luck with your's. May your aphids take a long vacation from your yard.
Old June 10, 2009   #8
seanomac76
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I sprayed the leaves down with a soapy mixture. It's very overcast here, but no rain, so hopefully it will do the job. This is the second time someone told me to try marigolds. I'll give this a try if I have room in the pots.
Old June 11, 2009   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Everyone in this thread is in the Northeast or at least north of the Mason-Dixon line, but just FYI if you are in the south, the issue with marigolds is they attract spider mites. As with any 'universal gardening advice', it depends on region.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2009   #10
riceke
Tomatovillian™

No doubt you have aphids and whitefly on your plants the the drooping leaves on the lower plant I believe is from too much water. While the soil on top may look dry the bottom of the container is a lot more moist. I'd get one of those watering meters that you can stick into the soil at lower level and see if it needs water or not. The reason I suspect too much water is that I recognized the symptoms from when I made the same mistake of over watering.
riceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2009   #11
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Everyone in this thread is in the Northeast or at least north of the Mason-Dixon line, but just FYI if you are in the south, the issue with marigolds is they attract spider mites. As with any 'universal gardening advice', it depends on region.
Thanks for the heads up on that M. I'm just learning the ins and outs of gardening in the "south"....with lots more to learn.

Granted the handful of containers across town from you are not exactly what I consider large scale, but its what he agreed to look after while I'm north of the border. LOL

I'll miss SETTfest this year....sighh....I'll get there eventually. But I have family committments up here the next 2 weekends. I'm hoping to be in Sugarland/Houston after the 28th of June for a bit. (I'll see about tossing in some Montreal Smoked Meat for you. I'll have it non-sliced, vaccum-packed and frozen to ease transport, if you're still interested.)
Old June 11, 2009   #12
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, Feldon, I learned that the hard way a few years back. I've been told to plant marigolds around the maters as the mites prefer the marigolds instead of the maters. My experience has been they will take over both!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote