Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 4, 2008   #1
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Default Pale Perfect Purple

I just came across a brief description of PPP in another thread which describes it as uniformly purple, no dark shoulders. Is the colour the same as, say, the blossom end of Cherokee Purple, or Black Krim perhaps? What about its other attributes?
Old August 4, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm really glad you asked this. I've been thinking a lot about this one lately and wondering if anyone with Fusarium problems has grown it. I've read a lot of positive comments on flavor and of course seen it in Carolyn's book. I was also wondering how tolerant it is of Fusarium because Ozark Pink, one of its parents, is supposed to do well with it, and I read somewhere that Bradley in included in the heritage of Ozark Pink, also Fusarium tolerant. Just wondering if PPP might share this quality, if anyone happens to have noticed. Thanks!
Old August 4, 2008   #3
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I've grown this variety,as a plant from Laurel,s and when combining taste and productivity it is the best tomato I've grown here in the PNW. NAR and Caspian Pink tastewise are 1 & 2 followed by PPP.Never had any disease problems just Picture Perfect Plants(PPP) and Tomatoes. Thanks for the thread as I will order seeds today.
Old August 4, 2008   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Pale Perfect Purple, aka Perfect Pale Purple, etc., LOL, was bred by Tad Smith, who used a couple of names for it initially, and is a cross between Purple Price and Ozark Pink, is.

Tad sent seeds for it initially to Craig and me many years ago.

Shelley refers to the picture in my book and what's shown are perfect 6-8 oz globes growing in clusters of 4-5 that really are a dusky pink but they show up a bit lighter in the picture. No green shoulders, well maybe a hint of that on one fruit in the picture but green shoulders can occur re weather with lots of varieties.

Ray, it is NOT purple; it is not a black. Tad and many others still use the word purple to indicate a shade of pink and that started back in the late 1800's. I know of only two varieties that really do have a purple tint to them and that's Purple Calabash and Noire des Cosebeauf and their taste is not to my liking.

I think PPP has excellent taste and yielded very well for me. For many years I listed it in the SSE Yearbooks.
Old August 4, 2008   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tad and many others still use the word purple to indicate a shade of pink and that started back in the late 1800's.
Kind of like Eva Purple Ball ???

If so - "Gotcha" ~

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2008   #6
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

Tomatofest lists Eva's Purple Ball as a Black variety.
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2008   #7
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year and it was as Carolyn describes it. It is similar to Eva Purple Ball and neither is even close to being black.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2008   #8
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

MY PPP's are nearing ripeness & the plant is loaded with fruit. Can't wait to try them. I DO like EPB, mentioned above, so it sounds encouraging for my PPP.
Old August 4, 2008   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstrees View Post
Kind of like Eva Purple Ball ???

If so - "Gotcha" ~

~ Tom
Yes, like Eva Purple Ball and Aunt Ginny's Purple and Prudens' Purple and on and on.
Old August 4, 2008   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiders71 View Post
Tomatofest lists Eva's Purple Ball as a Black variety.
That's completely wrong. I didn't go to the website to check b'c you've already been there.

Gary does have some errors at his site and one earlier this year was equating Crnkovic Yugoslavian with Yasha Yugoslavian. This was pointed out to me by someone else, I contacted Gary and ended up sending him seeds for both so he could grow them out and see the huge difference between them.
Old August 4, 2008   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Actually, Carolyn, PPP is a black in my book - same interior color, green seed gel, etc - only missing the dark shoulders - so much darker/duskier in color than the true pinks such as EPB and Ginny's Purple. PPP has the chlorophyll retention gene that ChP, Price's Purple, etc possesses -the only difference is that the cross with Ozark Pink gets rid of the non ripening shoulders. I like the description in this thread that PPP is uniformly the color of the blossom end of Cherokee Purple.

So, to me, a "black" variety are those pinks and reds that retain some chlorophyll - aka green - colors as they ripen....giving them a much deeper hued interior. A clear skinned black being a purple, a yellow skinned black being a chocolate or brown.
Old August 4, 2008   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So, to me, a "black" variety are those pinks and reds that retain some chlorophyll - aka green - colors as they ripen....giving them a much deeper hued interior. A clear skinned black being a purple, a yellow skinned black being a chocolate or brown.

Craig, I'm not so much concerned with the interior color of PPP altho there's a cut slice in the picture in my book and it isn't dark at all, I'm concerned with the exterior color.

I agree that the interior color of a TRUE black should be a darker color with greenish seed capsules but that's not what I saw with PPP, viz the picture I referred to.

I see a clear skinned black being pink/black as I've said before and that would refer to varieties such as Cherokee Purple, Black from Tula, Indian Stripe, etc., and yellow skinned black being what I call a red/black such as Black Krim. Carbon, and the like.

It's no fun if we agreed on everything.
Old August 5, 2008   #13
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...it was the possibility of a uniformly dusky pink fruit that attracted me to PPP as I love the colour of the blossom end of Cherokee Purple. Seems though that some are dusky pink and others just plain pink!
I found some seeds in my collection from Patrina who got them from Sandhill. Glenn describes it as
Quote:
Pale Perfect Purple: mid, Ind, PL, high yield of 6 to 8 oz. dusky pink globes, juicy, excl taste, bred by Tom Smith from a cross between Purple Price and Ozark Pink.
I'll just have to grow it and decide for myself I guess. Glenn did get the breeder's name wrong. I wonder about the description! Probably just a typo though.
Old August 5, 2008   #14
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

PPP reminds me very much of the EPB I grew last year; although I have not comkpared them side-by-side. I just now compared my PPP with the Cherokee Purple and PPP is a shade "pinker" than the blossom end of ChP. Just my observations...
Old August 5, 2008   #15
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Larry. I'll have Cherokee Purple and Eva Purple Ball in the garden this year so I'll add PPP and compare.