Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 7, 2008   #16
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

If you are going to trellis you obviously won't get rooting along the stem. So, I suggest growing a burpless variety. Continue your method of trapping the beetles in the yellow plastic cup. Plus, start a spray program with Sevin, spraying the plant on a 7-10 day schedule until the cucumbers start forming.

I didn't like to spray the cucumber fruit directly, so when the cukes started producing, I would pick all the fruit off and then spray. The real small ones I'd sell as pickles.

The beetles mostly transmit the wilt by feeding near the base of the stem and on the roots right under the soil, where they hide during the heat of the day, so concentrate the spray at the base of the plant. It may not even be necessary to spray the rest of the vine, if the beetles were controlled by the earlier spraying.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote