Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 5, 2008   #11
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had the money and time you folks have! For gosh sakes it’s a hobby and needs to be fun, not work, work, work! My garden is my happy place my man cave so to speak and not on the garden tour. My family doesn’t help so they don’t get to complain.

I don’t expect Home and Garden to show up anytime soon. LOL

I have 24 rows varying in length up to 50 long and 4ft wide. I grow around 250 varieties a year. I have enough to do with out creating unnecessary expense and WORK!

Years ago I resided by house and put the demo’d masonite to use as sides to my beds until I ran out. I only see remnants of it now. My rows now have nothing on the sides.

My rows are 7 ft center to center with the center of each row around 12+ inches high. I am constantly adding to the rows grass clippings, pine needles, leaves and what ever else I find that my neighbors put out at the curb. The sides taper to nothing and I have not shoveled the sides back on the top of rows. The rows look fine and don’t wash away.

Grass grows in the 3ft walkways and is needed to soak up the excess rainfall. In fact, once a year I have to spay the walkway edges to keep the grass under control.

If I ever get to retire and I find I have the time and money I might make some improvements. On second thought, probably not. LOL

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote