Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Old seed should not be sold for cash, unless tested 50%

I am absolutly infuriated- that there is an ever increasing amount of "No" shows- on lots of seed that sent out by various companies and private organisations, it should never be allowed in the first place,no seed should ever be attempted to be sold if anything less than fresh.

Over here in the UK, all seed sold by any company or private organisation has to be germination tested first before being offered for sale, fresh means two years or less age, not four-six-eight and up,

Admittedly often one can get some limited germination from seeds older than four years- but even then it is less than acceptable to the buyer as actual value for money and one tends to feel cheated, the only hope one then has is to hope that perhaps one or maybe two seed germinate out of a bad batch and one can re-coupe ones losses at harvest time with fresh seed.but "no" shows whatsoever is close to being criminal.

I myself am absolutly fuming in the fact that I have had four- no shows, all quite rare varieties- that were obviously more than 4 to 8 years old, that I paid good money for- all for nothing, that quite obviously had never been germination tested prior to being offered for sale.

My own saved seed on the other hand are still very viable at up to nine years old with a high percentage of germination, but even so I dont send any of those out that are more than two years old,

If seeds are given privately in friendly seed exchanges then thats a different matter and one has to accept a certain amount of un-tested seed and take pot luck on it. but even then one should at least try to offer fresh seed.

It infuriates me in the fact that now I shall have to wait a whole season and try to obtain the varieties that I wanted from different scources to last time as it will be far too late to sow anymore now this season.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote