Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 31, 2021   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I got my first grafted plants into the ground on 5/8/21 which is almost exactly two months later than my favored plant out date of the end of the first week of March. No way I could have planted out that early this year even if I had my grafts ready because of the late cold snaps but the late start I got in grafting did cause a six week delay. My last grafts of the year are only a few days out of the healing chamber and will not be ready to set out for three to four weeks.

Surprisingly I already have fruits forming on about a third of the young grafted plants but I will not be looking for a lot of whoppers with the late planting in such hot weather. I have had pretty good luck with the fusarium wilt in the bed of non grafted plants that I set out. Of the approximately 20 plants I set out I have had to pull 2 because of TSWV but only one so far from fusarium wilt; but the fusarium wilt symptoms are starting to show on at least 6 to 7 more already so the next few weeks will be critical in how many fruits I get off these plants before they become too sick to continue. I haven't gotten a single ripe fruit yet but I do have one starting to blush and some really nice clusters on some of the plants.

I am working diligently to get another bed ready to set out more of my grafted plants so I guess I will be planting fall tomatoes this year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote