Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10, 2021   #1
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Default your best Orange beefsteak?

I'm looking for recommendations on orange beefsteak varieties. Only your "best of show". If you could only grow one proven variety, what would it be? It would need to be productive and delicious (which for me means strong tomato flavor with a balance of sweet and some tartness).

I'm about to start my tomato seeds for this year and I have really cut back on space devoted to growing tomatoes. I'm down to growing about 6 plants, which are favorite varieties with a variety of colors, but I have yet to find an orange beefsteak that is a standout for me in terms of both taste and production. I've tried several over the years, but some of the commonly named favorites (e.g., Kellogg's Breakfast) seem to need something I don't have (more warmth?). And hearts don't seem to love my climate, or how I grow them, or both, so that rules out some commonly mentioned favorite oranges varieties like Orange Strawberry.

Thanks!
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote