Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13, 2020   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing winter vegetables - my new project

I have prepared three flower beds for growing winter vegetables.
Flower bed 1
The plants on the left half of the bed will be covered with a standard 19 g / m2 non-woven fabric in winter. On the right half I will use a fabric of 50 g / m2, which is intended, among other things, to protect plants from frost. Winter onions (Augusta, Hiberna and Senshyu) will be planted in the rows on the side. Brasicas will be planted on the two middle rows, always in pairs, so that the skin can be compared to which textile protects the plants.
Flower bed 2
Today I planted cauliflowers in this bed from the sowing on August 7, 2020- Walcheren Winter 5 (5 ks), Aalsmeer (5), Galeon (5), Celebrity (5) a Winter Roscoff (5). Next week I'll put Nine Star Perennial Broccoli (4) here. Due to the pests (Cabbage White and Cabbage Moth), I temporarily covered the planted cauliflowers with a curtain, which will be there for about a month. Then I cover the flowerbed with one of the tunnels (I have them now in the autumn brasicas) and the one above them will remain until spring. As soon as it starts to freeze, I will insulate the tunnel with a non-woven fabric 50 g / m2. I probably won't open the tunnel during the winter. I have watered with a pipe placed in the middle of the flower bed.
Flower bed 3
Here I will gradually plant the remaining Brassicas - Arkta cabbage, Pylon F1 cabbage, Limba and Steel broccoli and also some winter salads - Humil, Apollo, Ledano and King of May. I move the second tunnel to the flower bed. I won't sow salads until tomorrow - there's plenty of time yet.
Flower bed 4
I have not prepared this bed yet, there will only be salads covered with non-woven fabric 19 g / m2.
I would just like to add that the temperature and humidity in the tunnel (even outside) will be measured throughout the winter at a height of about 20 cm above the ground. Surely these will be important data for deciding how to grow Brassicas in the coming years.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2611.jpg (266.7 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2613.jpg (239.4 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2530.jpg (207.6 KB, 403 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote