Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 13, 2006   #1
eclectusuk
Tomatovillian™

Default newbie questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie gardener in Scotland, built an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse last year and like the books say I wish it was bigger..

This year I'm growing tomatos chillis and peppers a long with growing my border and basket plants, any tips you can throw in would be great on this..

Anyway, a couple of weeks back I planted my first seeds (being as it was the same time as last year and had no problems) and most of them sprouted no probs. They are all at near windows or window sills.

First of all I've noticed that the first set of leaves (being the initial feed for the plants forget the name) on some of my tomato seedling are wilting and dying. The new real leaves if I can call them that seem to be fine, but it seems to me a bit early to be happening...

Second. My plants which are Godetia, Aster, Anaglis, Begonia seem to be very slow after an inital fast germination. Also I have a tray of marigolds that I think are hardier than the rest that seem to be withering at the first set of leaves, I did exactly as I did last year and I had no problems. I don't water too much and the only thing I think it could be is cold or not enough light although the heating is off during the day while we're at work and the window where they are at faces North, I don't think it is the cold or lack of light.

Thirdly, can anyone advise me on heating my 8 x 6 greenhouse, I have a small paraffin heater but all it does is keep the temps about 1.5 degrees above the outside temp although it is rather cold at the moment, also should I block up any spaces between the aluminium frame that seem the norm of any other B&Q one that I've seen, theres not many but heat could escape or should I leave them for ventilation?

Any advice on anything here would be great
eclectusuk is offline   Reply With Quote